Straining/Filtering With Wine Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a #30 ratcheting wine press arriving tomorrow and was wondering what to put in the hopper to contain and strain the seeds and bits of pulp. Do I just line it with cheese cloth?

MuskyDine said:
I have a #30 ratcheting wine press arriving tomorrow and was wondering what to put in the hopper to contain and strain the seeds and bits of pulp. Do I just line it with cheese cloth?

I don't use a straining bag in my press. Yes, you do get a few seeds to pass through, but they get left behind after the first racking.

The key is to use constant, gentle pressure. Don't go crazy and squeeze the heck out of it right away. You'll end up closing and leak paths and trap the fluid in the grape skins.

Once the juice starts flowing, let it drain out. Add more pressure and wait for the fluid to escape.

I use quarter turns on the screw and I turn more once the fluid flow slows down.

Do not use a strainer bag, it will only clog and slow down the whole process. I made this mistake of using one the first time I ever pressed and just ended up pitching it as it just plugged up in no time and slowed the press process down horribly. Some seeds will get through but you can easily lose them in the next racking after the lees have compacted. Use a large plastic funnel with screen to catch them at that point.

Latest posts

Back