Storing your tools/sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadpupp

Reaction score
So this may be a dumb question but what is the sequence for tool cleaning?

I watched George's video about using the B BRITE clenser and washing all the tools and then pouring a cup or so of K Meta into the bucket with all the tools in it and putting the lid on to let the fumes do the work. This works fine for clean up after racking. I then put my clean and sanitized tools in a sealed plastic bin with an open cup of fresh K meta. (I add a few Oz to the cup once a week or so).

Is this what most of you do?

I have K meta in a spray bottle but don't really know what to do with it. If I have used a spoon, say and laid it on the workbench, do I then need to seal it up for 5 mintues with Kmeta or is a quick spray followed by a short wait enough before using again? Do I rinse it in water, or wipe with a paper towel?

I have only made two kits but constantly find myself needing to run upstairs and wash something and then ponder about sanitizing it.

How do I do a quick sanitize without washing in B Brite, sealing up the tool and waiting 5-10 minutes?

Thanks
Roadpupp

In my opinion, I feel that this is over-kill.

The most important thing is to sanitize your tools at the point that you are going to use them.

When I'm finished using a tool, I normally give the tool a good cleaning (soap and water) dry, and place on a shelf.

Prior to use, I again clean the tool (soap and water) and then treat it with K-meta solution.

My only concern with what you are doing is the long term effects of k-meta gas on the tools themselves. I would think that this can harm plastic.

John-

So after you clean the tubing or wine theif etc, you spray it with K meta from a spray bottle? What do you do after that ? Air dry it? Rinse it? Use it wet?

It seems dumb but I just want to make sure I am doing it right! As for long term damage, I only have the glass or plastic tools in the bin with the Kmeta fume so hopefully they won't degrade and they are always ready to go. If this is not a good idea, I would like to hear from others. I am sure I am over thinking this but I like the idea of the tools clean and ready for use.

All input is appreciated!

I normally just rinse clean (soap and water) after I am done with it, then put it away.

Just prior to use, I rinse again and then squirt with k-meta solution.

Definitely over-kill. But thats OK. The most important thing is to keep everything CLEAN. Cleaning everything well after you use it is the best way to ensure you don't introduce problems into your wine. An easy clean and sanitation before you use everything should finish the job. Don't worry too much about surgical level sanitation...you're never going to get it. The same things that are floating around and landing on your spoon are the same things floating around and landing on your wine. I usually have a clean towel or sanitized bucket to hold all my equipment while I'm doing what I need to do. Don't worry about sanitizing everything while you're using it, or when its sitting around not being used...if you clean it well after use, than a quick clean and sanitizing is sufficient. You can certainly use the spray bottle to get some K-meta on the things you're using, but you probably want to rinse it off afterwards so you're not adding more kmeta to the wine (when you use it).

I normally just rinse clean (soap and water) after I am done with it, then put it away.

This is what I do also. Clean everthing real well after using and then rinse with hot water sanitize before re-using. Never had a problem.

you know I visited a fellow who makes and sells wine. He said he would give me a sample of one of the young cabs.He grabbed his wine thief and started rinsing. He rinsed it for what seemed to be forever and let the water dry off while we where talking and tasting other wine. Then he dipped it in the barrel and poured me a glass from the thief. He made it look pretty simple. But I still set my wine thief in a bucket with a little sanitizing solution.

For the quick spray between uses, I use StarSan in a spray bottle. StarSan is a contact sanitizer, not a fumes sanitizer, so it works fast and easy. No placing the item in a sealed container and waiting for the fumes to work.

For instance, if I have two batches going and I want to stir both. I first spray the stir spoon, wait 30 seconds or so, then rinse with water and stir the first batch.

For the second batch, I first rinse off the wine, spray again with StarSan, wait 30 seconds, rinse, then stir.

They say you don't have to rinse off the StarSan, but I always do, anyway.

StarSan is a great companion to a Kmeta sanitizer.

you know I visited a fellow who makes and sells wine. He said he would give me a sample of one of the young cabs.He grabbed his wine thief and started rinsing. He rinsed it for what seemed to be forever and let the water dry off while we where talking and tasting other wine. Then he dipped it in the barrel and poured me a glass from the thief. He made it look pretty simple. But I still set my wine thief in a bucket with a little sanitizing solution.

Not to belittle those that may work hard to keep things clean, but wine (in itself) is a whole lot more stable then people might think. If the PH level is correct, and the wine is kept cool, this is not exactly a best environment for breeding bacterium.

For example, the laws governing sanitization in beer production is a whole lot more strict then in wine production. This is due to the fact that there is very little bacteria that can thrive in wine and can hurt you.

Now, I am saying that it is OK to store your syphon hoses in an old, dirty sock. Far from it. Keeping things clean is very important, but keeping things sterile is not so important.

Do what makes you feel comfortable. I do not know of any case where wine was ruined by keeping things "too clean".

Thanks for the replies so far.

Star san sounds like a better option for the spray bottle.

I'd love to be able to rinse, spray K meta (or star san), rinse again if that is what I should do, then use the tool.

Do those of you using spray K meta, all rinse afterward? Sounds like some of you don't. I suppose it is a trace amount of K meta.

Thanks

Plain and simple John hit it right on the nose and it's basically what everyone else said also. The most important thing is cleaning immediately after use, this is 97% of the process. The other 3% is sanitizing. The number 1 misused instrument is the wine thief. Not rinsing and a quick dunk in sanitizer between carboys and barrels.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Star san sounds like a better option for the spray bottle.

I'd love to be able to rinse, spray K meta (or star san), rinse again if that is what I should do, then use the tool.

Do those of you using spray K meta, all rinse afterward? Sounds like some of you don't. I suppose it is a trace amount of K meta.

Thanks

I also have a spray bottle of Kmeta. However, from the spray bottle, I use StartSan 5 to 1 of the Kmeta. I use the Kmeta sanitizing solution mainly in vessels I can seal up and for my bottles just before bottling. Most other times I use the StarSan sprayer. I even sanitize my hoses with StarSan solution.

I am a little different and not necessarily right or wrong, but I always rinse both Kmeta and StarSan solutions, except I don't rinse Kmeta solution out when bottling. I am not even going to try to take a stand on this, because it is just something I prefer to do. I don't like the idea of chemicals building up in my wine. You certainly won't be wrong if you don't copy me.

Latest posts

Back