Storing carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robie you may not use water in your wines, but anyone making wine that has to add water ( like to concentrates) is adding clorine in the tap water. and you rinse with clorinated water
just rinse well and let set for a while. and if you use tap waterto make wine fill a couple buckets a few days before, letting it set a few days drasticly reduces the amount of cloeine in the water

jim

Yes, I know. The chlorine level in most cities' water is not considered high enough to cause serious cork taint. However, I have been places where the chlorine in the water is so high, the smell is overwhelming; smells like bleach water.

That's one reason why some home wine makers get their water (for wine) from those water purifying machines in places like Wal-Mart.

Our water in Colorado Springs is very nice. Now, my daughter's city-supplied water in Plano, Texas is in my opinion not even drinkable. I know I can't drink it out of the faucet. She, like many others there, get their drinking water from bottled water. I'll bet if one makes wine straight from the Plano water supply, it could adversely affect the taste. (I love Plano, just not their water.)

Yes, I know. The chlorine level in most cities' water is not considered high enough to cause serious cork taint. However, I have been places where the chlorine in the water is so high, the smell is overwhelming; smells like bleach water.

That's one reason why some home wine makers get their water (for wine) from those water purifying machines in places like Wal-Mart.

Our water in Colorado Springs is very nice. Now, my daughter's city-supplied water in Plano, Texas is in my opinion not even drinkable. I know I can't drink it out of the faucet. She, like many others there, get their drinking water from bottled water. I'll bet if one makes wine straight from the Plano water supply, it could adversely affect the taste. (I love Plano, just not their water.)

We live close to Plano and I totally agree with the bad water. luckily we have a filtration system that takes out the chlorine and other nasties.

We live close to Plano and I totally agree with the bad water. luckily we have a filtration system that takes out the chlorine and other nasties.

I'll go visit her and forget about how bad the water is; I'll get up, pour me a big glass of tap water, take a big gulp, and shutter from how bad it is. She now gets her water from the 5 gallon purified water bottles.

I lived there many years ago and the water then was just fine. I don't know what has changed about the water system.

100% limestone purified well water here. If it's good enough for Mr. Jack, it's good enough for me - though if I went commercial, I'd have to have my well tested every 3 months by law. City water supply, no test required. Figures.

Latest posts

Back