Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
I am going to be storing all my wine and beer in my crawlspace. In the winter it drops down to about 35-38 down there. Is that too cold? In the summer it obviously warms up quite a bit. My question is will it be too cold in the winter and will the temp change from winter to summer screw things up? I dont have a basement, or a big house that I could really store it any place that stays at a constant 50 degrees. Will I be with it down there? Edited by: JohnnyK68

It sounds like it is exposed to the outside temps and this could really be an issue since the fluctuations daily isn't good for it.

This info will help explain why:

Temperature stability is the “holy grail” of wine storage. It is the most important of the storage requirements, and at the same time one of the hardest ones to achieve. For those using home storage methods, a 5ºF temperature variation can be a daily occurrence. Moreover, if you think your wine cabinet, your cellar, or your current storage provider is doing a good job, try leaving a Max-Min thermometer in the unit for a few months. I think you’ll be surprised.

Maintaining constant temperature over time is even more important than the actual average temperature level. Fluctuations in temperature allow more air/oxygen into the wine. As the environment warms up, the wine (and air) in the bottle warms up and expands. The only thing that can give is the cork. Either the cork moves out slightly, or some of the air (or wine when stored on its side) will push past the cork. As the air cools, the contents of the bottle will contract, drawing air/oxygen into the bottle. Over many temperature fluctuations, quite a bit of this outside air can actually replace the wine. This leads to the low fill level or ullage seen in older bottles.

Since high levels of oxygen, a highly reactive gas, is the single most damaging thing to wine, bottles that have undergone repeated temperature cycling tend to loose their freshness (at best) or spoil (at worst). For wine to age in a proper manner, temperature fluctuations must be minimized in both magnitude and frequency. Fluctuations of only 1.5ºC (3ºF) can be very damaging to wine if they occur on a daily basis.

Thank you. I obvioously wont be storing any wine in the crawlspace. I guess my only other option is a bedroom that stays around 60-65. I know thats warmer then it should be but I dont think buying any type of wine refridge is in the cards right now. Im going to guess that anyone without a high dollar wine cellar is not keeping a temp withen 3*. Would a household refrige set on low be a better option, or would that be too cold?Edited by: JohnnyK68

Most new fridges are below good temps. There are controls that you can
buy to overide the thermostat of the fridge. Check out the post
currently going now. Using fridge for wine storage. Just change your
"Show Topics" settings back 1 day to read up on some of this. I have a
really old fridge that is probably not very energy efficient but kept
on lowest setting keeps my wine at stable 54*. I dont think it is that
bad on energy though because its rarely on being in my basement that is
unheated as of yet and stays around 62* in the winter and 66* in the
summer as long as the back door stays shut which rarely happens and
this is why I put the wine in a fridge. We only smoke in the basement
at that door so as not to have it in the house. Gotta quit those dang
things again!

Wade: Try Chantix (doctor perscribed). My wife and I quite using this and it was easy. Well...... It's only been 25 days today, but it does work, you don't even think about smoking, even when your around other smokers, the urge isn't there. There is also no "habit" times like after dinner or while driving. They work very good, even if your not ready to quite.

HOWEVER..........................

In 25 days I have managed to gain about 23 pounds. So my wife and I went out and bought a tread mill today to change that also...... we'll see how it goes. But food taste so darn good these days...........

I quit for 8 months and gained 53 lbs. Started smoking and went on a
diet and went from 215 to 173 where I currently am now. I will wait
until it warms up to quit again so its not so easy to gain weight with
all the yard work and just being able to do much more stuff than just
sit inside. I work 10 hours a day of hard labor with a back that just
isnt the same anymore and the last thing I want to or will do is go
home and exercise. But, I will quit when It gets warmer like I said.

Ok, screw it. Im going to order a 35 bottle wine cooler. I figure I will take 3-5 bottles of everything I ever make and put in there for long storage. As far as the others, they will stay in a closet that stays around 62. They wont last more then a year there Im sure. I have quite a large family of wine drinkers!

Another one hooked. NEXT!! Its only just begun! Shop around. you
can probably get a bigger one for almost the same money, Check out
Bestbuy if you have one near you. They had a good name brand 70 bottle
with dual zones for the price of a 35 just about everywhere else.

Latest posts

Back