Stopping unwanted MLF in Rosé

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Benjamin

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a bit of homemade Rose from fresh grapes. I went through a nice long fermentation process and racked into secondary. Unfortunately, it looks like a natural MLF has started. Can I just use some K-Meta to kill the MLF that is underway? And if I do, will the MLF start back up once the K-Meta wears off?

I can't say 100% it's MLF. But I fermented the Rose fully, then after racking into my carboy (same carboy I did MLF in last year) it's been slowly and steadily fizzing - exactly the way it looked last time I did MLF. It's been doing this for 2 days.

Is there a reason Lysozyme is not sold anymore over here in Europe this year? I used it with success last year to stop/inhibit the MLF, but now this time, it seems to be taken out of stock.

Interesting. I used to buy mine from MoreWine as 'generic' Lysozyme. Now, they sell "Delvozyme", which looks to be just a brand name formulation of the same stuff.

I usually see things dropping away when they have a re-stock issue. Lots of items have that problem this year, and some places fine, others are out the same item for months.
I know little about basic winemaking before buying ability - I wonder if egg whites would do the same or have too much fining activity?

It does look like some versions of lysozyme are out of stock, but there are a few still available in the states. For Europe the following names may help your search.

Vason, Bactozym
Chr. Hansen, Viniflora Lactizyme
Lallemand, Lallzyme Lyso

Back