Stiring large carboy, can i use a brush?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code

Junior
Reaction score
My 30 bottle carbon is almost finished fermenting. I have a long spoon That I was going to use to stir however the bottom of the spoon will not fit into the head. So my first option is to stir using the long thin handle poking into the carboy. However, I was thinking about using the cleaning brush to stir because I can get the whole thing in. It's clean, anyone tried this or have another idea?

If your spoon was made like most for wine, it has a spoonlike end and another end that has a little square paddle on it. Use the paddle end to stir if the neck is small.

The deal with the brush is, there's too many places for contaminants to hide. I'd be leery of using it.

That was my thoughts too but if i soaked it in steriliser for an hour if that would be good enough. Sadly there's no paddle the handle end so may just use the stick end to be on the safe side :)

That was my thoughts too but if i soaked it in steriliser for an hour if that would be good enough. Sadly there's no paddle the handle end so may just use the stick end to be on the safe side :)

If you do not have the paddle end, you need to spend another $4.95 and get one. A good thing to have!

Im in the UK. Every spoon I've found so far has no paddle. Ill keep looking though :) thanks!

If all you need to do is stir, for now you can swirl the entire carboy. Awkward I know but a long handle plastic spoon is the way to go.

Funny how some places have things we take for granted and other areas people never saw them.

Any long sanitized plastic apparatus will work

Alright, I have to ask, why did you ferment in a primary.

Honestly? Because I'm new and I'm experimenting :) I have limited space so it's easier to do everything inside the carboy without transferring it. Works on the smaller demijohn so I assumed it would on the larger carboy :)

Alright, here is my next question why are you trying to stir when it is almost done fermenting?

You need to invest in a primary, ferment in that, stir while fermentation is very active then rack to a carboy.

James, lol, I'm thinkin you are being bad!!!!!

I'm using a kit so the finings are Pre packed and im also going to add a campden tablet or 2 to help clear it and .... *im saying this through gritted teeth scared I might be doing the wrong thing* I'm using kits at the moment with clear instructions and with added extra bits of help I'm reading online to ensure it doesn't spoil :) please feel free to question / correct me :)

Im 25 and only started this hobby 2 months ago :)

image-3518268895.jpg

image-1155114630.jpg

It will not spoil, so don't worry about that. Wine is very forgiving and it takes a lot to spoil it. Campdem tablets will not help a wine clear. Just follow your directions for the kit. We do have a tutorial section, you should look at and always feel free to ask a question

Latest posts

Back