Sterilization Of Juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forest813

Junior
Reaction score
I will be starting a new batch of wine using fresh commercial grape juice(not<a href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CAl%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">

</a>

pasteurized).<a href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CAl%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" target="_blank">I've read that the juice should be sterilized with Campden Tablets 24 hours prior to adding the yeast. Is it necessary to sterilize the juice before adding the yeast or can I just add the yeast?

</a>Edited by: foret813

By the way, welcome to this forum and maybe someone else has another idea.

Do you have something against Campdens and sulfites in general? Some people are sensitife to sulfur and feel the campdens make the wine so they can't drink it. The levels uses in home winemaking are much lower than many commercial wines and won't affect you that way if you are sensitive.

appleman said:
Do you have something against Campdens and sulfites in general? Some people are sensitife to sulfur and feel the campdens make the wine so they can't drink it. The levels uses in home winemaking are much lower than many commercial wines and won't affect you that way if you are sensitive.

that would also be my first question..

why not use the proves and well tested method?

Back