Stepping up to 5 gal with Q's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furious82

Junior
Reaction score
I have made several 1 gallon batches of wine using store bought concentrates. Several were grape and a few mixed berry and fruity wines for my wife. However, as easy as it is to make 1 gallon, they never last very long. I have never added any K-meta, K-sorbate, camden tabs, bentonite, pectic enzyme or any other chemical or powder that I see all to frequently mentioned in this forum. I have also never tested the PH or TA levels. I just use the concentrate, add water, measure with hydrometer and add sugar until around 1080, hydrate and add yeast and let it run for a few weeks stiring daily and racking 2 or 3 times all within about a months time. All my batches have ended up very clear and tasty.

I just started a 5 gallon batch using grape concentrate (15 cans concentrate, fill with water, roughly 4 cups sugar to SG 1105) Since this will last a while longer and I would like to bottle most of it to age, the thought crossed my mind about it going bad. So my question is can I follow the same method as before and still open a bottle of this wine 6 months from now and have a great tasting wine? My first thought is no, and I assume I will need to purchase a few of the above mentioned chemicals/powders to add to this batch. I know this can get down and dirty about numbers and measurements and whatnot, and don't bash me for being honest, but I want to keep this as simple as I can like my first gal of grape wine.

One more question. I hear about Merlot's, Pinot Noir's, Syrah's and all other types of wine. Where would this particular wine fall under?

One more question. I hear about Merlot's, Pinot Noir's, Syrah's and all other types of wine. Where would this particular wine fall under?
I'm not sure what you are asking, but these are all grape wines. In particular you have listed red grape wines.

These are specific varieties of grapes. Sorta like Granny Smith, Delicious, or Cortland apples. Different but still apples.

Steve

the store bought juice you use to make wine from, I am assuming you are talking about Welch's or one similar? I can see how you get away with not checking acid in these, they are pretty balanced already and I understand them being 1 gallon batches you are drinking them so they are not sitting around very long but a 5 gallon batch you do need to add campdem or k-meta to protect it.

Thanks, I figured I would need to add something to protect it from bacteria. When should I add campden tabs?

My question is, if I tell someone that I made homemade wine and they ask, "Oh, is it like a Merlot or a Pinot?" Im not really sure how to answer them other then, "It's Wal-Mart grape concentrate." What do you look at if you wanted to compare your wine to one of the aforementioned? Is it taste, spacfic grapes or what? And yes, youe assumptions that I know nothing about wines is correct. I would just like know what I could compare it to so that when I tell someone that really know about wines. For some reason telling them, "I don't know, its just grape wine" just seems ignorant.

the store bought juice you use to make wine from, I am assuming you are talking about Welch's or one similar? I can see how you get away with not checking acid in these, they are pretty balanced already and I understand them being 1 gallon batches you are drinking them so they are not sitting around very long but a 5 gallon batch you do need to add campdem or k-meta to protect it.
I thought the Campdem only sterilized the initial batch, I didn't think it provided long term protection. I like to keep it simple to and not get to complicated with details and have almost always had great results even long term with the exception of the batch I mentioned in my introduction thread. but know what I did wrong there, and that was with using Campdem and pectic enzyme.

I assumed that as long as you kept the Oxygen out of it it would last indefinitely once it had enough alcohol content.

Thanks, I figured I would need to add something to protect it from bacteria. When should I add campden tabs?

My question is, if I tell someone that I made homemade wine and they ask, "Oh, is it like a Merlot or a Pinot?" Im not really sure how to answer them other then, "It's Wal-Mart grape concentrate." What do you look at if you wanted to compare your wine to one of the aforementioned? Is it taste, spacfic grapes or what? And yes, youe assumptions that I know nothing about wines is correct. I would just like know what I could compare it to so that when I tell someone that really know about wines. For some reason telling them, "I don't know, its just grape wine" just seems ignorant.

coin a name for it yourself or just make one up made from Mustum conditum negotium
or store bought grape juice in English or I like the simplicity of just Uva (ooh wah) Latin for Grape

Be careful about not using enough meta. The wine can easily become oxidized if you don't have enough SO2 in it. When we were young winemakers, we made the same mistake and had many bottles of oxidized wine. You need to have at least 40-50 PPM of SO2 for protection.

Since this is a concentrate wine, and you don't really need to add SO2 preferment, I would add 1 campden tab per gallon at the time you get it in the secondary.

When they ask what kind of wine it is, say"concord." The juice isn't ALL concord, but close enough. The white concentrate is usually Niagara.

Thanks for all the replies. I will purchase some campden tablets and add them when I rack for the first time. Is it cheaper to by the tablets or get k-meta? Will they both work for the purpose of preserving the wine?

Get the K-meta powder. It dissolves easier and is much easier to calculate the amount to use.

LOL, tell them it is a country wine and has its own unique taste. I don't compare apples to oranges and that is what you are trying to do. Frozen concentrates are fruit wines and you should compare them to fruit wines.

Can I add this after fermentation? I read one recipe that has you adding it prior to adding the yeast. When is the best time to add it if I didn't put it in before the yeast?

Yes, add it after secondary fermentation at the stabilization/degassing stage.

Latest posts

Back