Steamer Update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne said:
If Waldo is listening - as a steaming newbie I would love to know how to add water without taking the top part off!

ME 2 !

I use the same amount of fruit per gallon that is recommended in any recipe.......Like.....3#/gallon...I use to add a couple pounds if I had extra fruit, just because I was unsure about getting all the goodies out and had no one to compare my findings to.

I think the flavors of the fruits come through nicely....some fruits have more juice and flavors than other fruit.

I find Raspberry flavor to really shine through...Apple is the least rewarding with giving up it's juices....but the juice is well worth the effort ....Think an apple/fruit press would be better for those....Tho, Crabapples work great.

Experiment and share your findings....

Thanks Waldo for the link - I had missed that one. I think welding an intake port on my juicer may be beyond me but I enjoyed reading the wholesaga of your juicer!

Wayne

How do you guys can your juice after steaming? I usually steam juice when I am ready to make another batch. The only problem is I run out if room in my freezer for fruit. Canning would let me store in the pantry and free up some freezer space.

I can in mason jars. Process it the same as if you were doing fruit and vegetables.

Wash and sterilize your jars. Sterilize the lids. Pour juice to 1/4 inch below the lid and place the lid and ring on it. Process in 180 degree water bath for 10 minutes and remove. Make sure the jars are sealed by checking the lids, You should hear them click when the vacuum sucks it closed.

I also can my juices after steaming them....I collect my juice in a large pot as I believe that the later juice isn't as flavorful as the first juice that runs from the fruit....I mix the whole batch of juice, then preserve it in mason jars....Some folks put hot the juice in each jar as it runs free from the steamer...

I mark on the lids how many pounds of fruit made how many jars of juice...or, something like 'Use 10' My clue to use 10 quarts for a 6 gallon batch of wine.

To can it is not a big mystery...It does require some equipment....keep your eyes open at Garage Sales and ask an old person for help if you are intimidated....Old people often know how to preserve in mason jars...like me.

Go OnLine and look up canning....pages like this one will come up...

http://www.wikihow.com/Can-Food

This will give you a rough idea of what to do and the equipment you need.

http://www.pickyourown.org/grapejuice.htm

While searching I saw where people make their own popcycles from their own juices...YUM!!!!

I simply drain the boiling hot liquid directly from the steamer into sterilized Mason jars that are preheated in the oven at 250 degrees. I add a sterilized lid and secure the lid with a ring. The jar is placed on a dishtowel and allowed to cool in an area with no drafts. When you hear the "ping" the jar is sealed and the band may be removed.

Does anyone have a picture of this steamer? I would love to see it in action. Thanks.

For those who are thinking of getting one here is a 5% coupon.
http://www.ultimate-weight-products....N/CTGY/steamer
As a token of my appreciation, I would like to offer you a redemption coupon for 5% off our entire store. This includes all juicers, yogurt makers, meditation furniture, yoga and fitness products, etc. If you would like to take advantage of this special offer, the redemption coupon code is VIPCUSTOMER, which you would enter in the "E-Mail Redemption Code" field during checkout. The "E-Mail Redemption Code" field is under the shipping selection and payment selection fields on the *2nd* step of checkout. Or if you prefer to phone in an order, just remind us of the coupon when you call.

Please feel free to share this coupon code with your friends and family. We would be honored to help them with their healthy lifestyle too.

Again, thank you very much and keep celebrating good health!

Sincerely,
Julie Thompson
Owner
Ultimate Nourishment
http://www.ultimate-weight-products.com

Latest posts

Back