STEAMER JUICER

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
I just tried using a steamer juicer on some cherries from my three trees, and was wondering, does the steam dilute the resulting juice to any extent that now that I have this juice, do I have to boil off the water a little( like maple syrup) or can I just freeze it in gallon zip locks until I get the courage up to make wine with it ? ( before my wife decides to make jelly out of it!)
I assume when the time comes, I will be asking for help on how much of this to add to water and sugar for the correct primary ferment S.G..

Just use the juice as is....Freeze it and when you have enough adjust tteh sugar and water to taste.

I tend to use a couple extra pounds of fruit per 5-6 gallon batch. If they call for 3-5# of fruit per gallon, I might throw in an extra pound or so....You will enjoy this.

Thank you ! I assume that the pounds are for the berries, and not the finished liquid. So I will note next time about how many pounds of fruit produces so much liquid.---- out to the trees I go..........................

Your juice will be good to go. One question. Did you freeze the fruit first or juice it fresh from the tree? While it is fine to steam the fresh fruit you will extract more juice if you freeze the fruit first. It breaks down the cell walls of the fruit and allows most all of the potential juice to be extracted. If you haven't already, do a search for some older posts here on the use of the steamer. Some very good info there. Good luck with the wine if you get custody of the juice.
smiley36.gif

AH--HA! once again, I have gleened knowlage off of the past forums!
Yes, I did freeze the berries overnight because I remember seeing in a forum about freezing breaking down cell walls.( and personal experience winter camping for years in northern Minnesota!) Some of this stuff does soak into my hard head!
Thanks, and I will do a word search for topics, I do remember looking at a tutorial on the steamer juicer, so I will revisit that.

I would recommend freezing the fruit a minimum of 2 weeks termini.

Back