Starting the wine cabinet/closet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Here isaroughstart of my wine cabinet/closet. This shelf/wine rackis portable andcan be taken out of the closetand placed elsewhere if need be. So, far this room has kept a temperature of 60-62 degrees F.The rack is made out of old barn boards and we have itbolted to the closet. This wine rack will hold 120 bottles, ten bottles per shelf. It may look a little rough right now with the different colors of wood, but it is still in the rough draft experimental stage. This closet has doors that I would like to put back on, but I want to monitor the temperature of this room during the summer months. So, thismay be a long term project depending on temperature.

20070128_095503_IMG_0128_Small.JPG
Edited by: jsmahoney

The temp will probably be more stable with the doors on JS. Is there a
vent in there, I forget. It looks very good though. Is the otherside
going to be wine storage, fermenting area or actual closet?

No vent in the closet area. The other side I would like to have another wine rack. You can't tell it in the picture, but the open side is shaped like three sides of a stop sign. My husband has made the rack able to be moved just in case the storage of the wine in the closet won't work temperature wise. But it is nice to have a place out of the way to put the bottles, and leave more room for the rest of the wine supplies and makings. Being new to wine, I just don't want to make the mistake of building it and not being able to use it.

That looks very nice jsmahoney....If you can keep temps. fairly even and not get big swings up or down is the main thing for wine storage.

Thanks Bert! That's why I'm not in to big of a hurry on this one, wanting to see what the temperature stays at this summer.

I love all the old wood and different colors. Personnally, I like it the way it is - lots of charactor.

Looks fine and the fine tuning and making it blend in can come later. Things to remember for proper agingof wine areconstant temperature (big swings in temp is no good), darkness, and free from lots of vibration.

I truly believe inusing what is avaliable...greatjob!

THAT, is one fine looking wine cabinet. I have a real old book I have been using. It says you need high humidity and constant temp. The best constant I am not sure of. But working with wood. (I have a shop.) High humidity would rot the wood. I have a old cellar on my place. I`m going to fix a place there to store my wine. 98% humidity, 60 degrees in the winter.70 in summer. I admire fine wood. I like the cabinet. Badhabit

2 more % and youll have the rainforest!
smiley36.gif

Does it really have to be that high? I would imagine at that humidity
the corks would be in danger of bacteria but I also know nothing of
this. That just seems high.

Wade, I`m no expert, But I read everything I can about wine making. Everything I have read says the higher the humidity, the better. The books say if you keep the corks down & wet, and the Acl. content above 9% it will be fine. Your nice cabinet will be fine. How many of us has a wine cellar. Badhabit

Hey Badhibit! I've already gotten that on the "Honey Do" list!
smiley36.gif
Build me a underground cellar for to store my wine! But, I think I may get that when "he" gets pregnant!

Very nice js
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Thanks everyone! I think it will turn out really nice too! I just hope the temperature stays consitent. Otherwise I may be starting to dig a hole in the back yard little bit by little bit for that wine cellar.
smiley36.gif

Hi jsmahoney, I didn`t mean its a has to behigh humidity. It was something I read on line. My book says that to keep it at a constant temp. And not to move it around? I just quote what I have read. Believe me, I am no expert.
smiley13.gif
If I was I would`nt have to ask so many dumb ?. I was lucky. This farm I got was settled in the year 1887. The root cellar was a have to then. I guess?Right now I have pototoes, apples and root crops in there. Stays 65 in summer, 40 in winter. High humidity. Great for what keeping root crops. I am a expert on that. I was a cross country truck driver for 25 years. When I was home I farmed with a passion. On this 160 acres of hillside. Love it. I just hated to see all the fruit go to waste from the trees I have babyed for years. I have been making wine for 6 years. And I still do not know how. Seems every year is different.
smiley1.gif

Back