Mosti Mondiale Starting the Buttery Chard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not good. Stale, like wine that was left in the glass overnight. The wine will also turn brown, like a cut apple left out too long.

Ah...but from oxidized white wine (and a years of patience) one could work it such as to start that side sherry operation!

smiley2.gif

I went to stir the chard tonight and became instantly concerned when I looked at it. It had a greenish hue - not good. Then I realized what is happening. Each time I stir the wine it gets more degassed. It's to the point now that it gets pretty clear in the two days between stirrings.

The green hue was from the green towel the carboy is sitting on!

I have a few carboys that have a slight greenish tint to the glass so it can be deceiving when you look at the wine in them.

Peter,
The ques was asked but unless I just missed it, I didn't see your answer--Are you doing MLF on this Chard?

Jackie, JW is right - no MLF. Acid balance in this kit tastes fine to me as is.

Coaster stopped by the store today and left me his Buttery Chard. I have never tried this method, but I will have to confess the results are quite outstanding. The chardonnay bite is still there (which I look for), but the wine is silky smooth. I will have to give this a try, myself.

Coaster, you done good!
smiley32.gif

How did this come out? I'm rather interested in that it makes alot of sense to me. I was thinking of using a food turner (lazy susan) most daysand stirring with a spoon only once a week. Figured this would minimize the oxidation possibility, still get it gently stirred and allow some O2 to enter.

Mine came out great! It's still young and will continue to improve but it's smooth as smooth can be!
smiley14.gif

Sorry for the delay. That wine was finished fermenting on Jan 20th 2007.

Jeff, The wine is still young, and I just bottled it a week ago, so I really don't know how it will finish. It tasted a bit thin at bottling, but I will open a bottle in a month and see how it is.

Keep us posted, Peter. My buttery chardonnay was my Christmas wine for 2006 -- and it is really good! Those who have had it are surprised (a good indicator that their response is honest!
smiley36.gif
) and express how good it is! But the real indicator is they ask for another bottle.

Lots of work, but worth it!

Peter,
Have you tasted your BChar lately?

BTW, the Chardillon I mentioned earlier in this thread is far and away the best wine we have made to date. I would liketo find another kit like it.

Actually, Jack, I had a glass last night. It matured fairly quickly and currently tastes like a good commercial chard. I am quite pleased. Looking forward to what it tastes like in a year.

Thanks for your comments. I think I'll try this one and one other for next summer tasting. I wonder ifGeorge is back from his boondoggle yet....
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back