Starting MLF, do I need to add campden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dokki

Amateur Enologist
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me here. I'm about to press my 1st batch of wine from fresh grapes. It's a blend of 1/3 Frontenac, 1/3 Foch, and 1/3 Millot, total volume is about 12 gallons with skins and all. It's been fermenting nicely for the last 6 days and now I'm getting ready to press it and start my MLF. My question is,

Do I need to add campden tablets when I start my MLF?

If not, I know MLF can take 1-3 months to complete. This seems like a long time for a wine to go without having sulfites added to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

MLB are more sensitive to sulfites than yeast. Ideally you should start MLF right after the yeast fermentation finishes. That way you can get sulfites in as soon as possible...once MLF finishes.

I know MLF can take 1-3 months to complete. This seems like a long time for a wine to go without having sulfites added to it.

I know how you feel about not adding sulfites for that amount of time. I worry about it every time I do it.

You will want to check for did it complete, starting after about 1 month. If you run a test and it says done, wait at least a week or two before you add sulfite.

That's what I thought. Thank you everyone for your quick responses.

Latest posts

Back