Started my first batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Well I just started my first batch of beer.

I made Mr. Beer West Coast Pale Ale, Im not sure what to expect but Im hoping for the best.

I question though:

It says that I can either condition the beer two ways: aging or lagering.

Whats the difference?

Scuba

Scuba, lagering is cold conditioning of a beer that used a lager yeast. The kit you made is an ale so lagering is not required. I can't figure out why they would suggest lagering an ale.I looked at theinstructions and fromwhat they describe, that isn't really lagering. With the kit you made I would condition it at room temperature and the cool prior to drinking a couple days.

Most ales take about 2 weeks to ferment. I do one week in primary and then one week in secondary. You check your SG and if it is target you check it a couple more days in a row similar to a wine kit. You can then bottle it. If you bottle you add the corn sugar or what ever type sugar you are using to prime and condition the beer. It will then take a couple weeks or so to carbonate the beer. This is done at room temperature.

You can then chill and drink the beer. If you let it set a while longer it ages and gets better such as wine but don't take near as long. I keg my beer so I have never bottled and can't give you experience specifics. I will say that the beer I kegged and forced carbonated last week was kind of watery the first day or so and was un-impressed. After a week it has evolved considerably and now is better than the commercial version of the beer I made, a Belgian White (Hoegaarden).

Scuba, and any others interested. Here is a great online book about beer brewing. I highly recommend buying this book as well. I have actually bought it twice. The last edition and the current revision. This guy is one of the "Beer Gods" and writes at an easy to read and understand level. IMHO this is the Beginners Beer Brewing Bible.

http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Thanks for the info, I will go get that book. Also this is a $20 kit that I got at CVS so im not even measureing SG. Itis a 2 gallon kit so im not to sure how well it will come out.

Scuba

Why are you not measuring, just cause its cheap? You cant learn if you dont know where you started Scuba.

Scuba, I frequent a few beer forums and I have really never read from anyone that started with the Mr. Beer complain about the finished product. There is no measuring anything, Just dump it in the fermenter and ferment. Don't let it bother you that it was cheap. $20.00 is actually a good price for it. Also, don't forget that they offer higher quality levelkits for it as well.

Well the beer is coming along nicely IMO. Very clear and has a nice beer/hop smell to it. Ill let it sit until Saturday to make sure fermentation is over then bottle :).

Scuba

I would recommend that you boil 3 C of H2O with 1 C of dried malt extract for 15-20 minutes. Cool that and add it prior to bottling. It makes a huge difference in taste of beer since you're using malt and the corn sugar makes it more vinegary tasting.

This is my beer right now.

Beer.jpg

Beer2.jpg

Scuba

If you are going to use malt to bottle condition your beer, you'll need at least 1 or 2 extra weeks as I've found that malt takes a little longer to condition. However, the bubbles it creates seem smaller and head retention is better.

I just bottled the beer today. Iended up sticking to the directions that came with the kit and I just used sugar to sweeten the beer. I added 2 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per bottle. Now it is carbonating.

BeerBottle.jpg

ScubaEdited by: Scubaman2151

It says to let these bottles sit for a min of 7 days to let them carbonate. Well if I feel the bottle it seems to me that the carbonation isn't happening very fast. Is this due to the temp? They are currently 60* F, if I moved them to a warmer place would that speed up the carbonation?

Scuba

I have found the carbonation work best at 70-75* F due to the yeast used.

Those are Soda bottles right? They should be fine as long as the seals are good so as they dont leak out your pressure.

Latest posts

Back