Started: First Quad Berry DB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read the DB threads and even downloaded Dave's recipe onto my phone so I could look at it throughout the process, and now it was time to start my own batch! Used a strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry mix.

Followed the instructions to a T except that I only added 17 cups of wine, for a starting SG of 1.06. I'm making this for my wife and in laws, and none of them like strong drinks. I'm hoping for a final ABV of between 7.5% and 9%.

Wish me luck, it's sitting in my cold basement with the brew belt down low!

You're going to love it! I just bottled mine 2 days ago and it's great! I wanted to follow Dave's recipe exactly, but my WalMart only had the strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry blend (like you used) so I went with it. I have not regrets. It was so good that yesterday I just started another 2 gallons!

You will love it. I used a quad blend on mine. I just bottled it two weeks ago and I'm waiting another week before opening any. However it was yummy at bottling so I can't wait.

The Dragon Blood craze goes on! Good luck, Rob! You'll be glad you made six gallons! :ib

No one said anything, but I just noticed that I wrote I'd added 17 cups of "wine", rather than sugar... shouldn't have been drinking the last batch whilst making this one clearly!

So I siphoned to secondary on Monday, added stabilizers, degassed for 15 mins then added kieselsol and chitosan to clear. I ended up with a strange effect: most of the lees fell to the bottom just fine, but some bubbles remained floating on and under the surface, but they barely move when I tap the carboy, almost as though they're gelatinous. I've cleared with kieselsol/chitosan every time I've made a kit and never encountered this before.

Insufficient degassing, or what?

I'm starting the Tripple berry this weekend. I like the extra kick. So Dave, At 20 cups of sugar (What I will add) what can I expect for the ABV

With a starting SG of 1.085-1.09, you're looking at a final ABV of between 11.9 and 12.5, depending on yield. If you go all the way from 1.09 down to 0.995, you should be around 12.5-12.9%.

Last edited:
I have no idea, Tess. I'm going to have to do some Tess-ting and see. I can test for the initial SG, but the fruit adds it's own sugars to the must, bumping up the ABV in the end. Shephard is pretty close in his evaluation, I think. Normally, you'd have the juice already in the must so you could figure it in the SG, but with the presser method, the juice is introduced slowly during fermentation, so you can't test for it. But that's part of what gives DB it's unique qualities.

Hi all, started mine Saturday and pitched the yeast Monday. It's rolling along preety good. Sounds like rice crispeys...:b

So shepherd it sounds like yours was similar to mine. I didn't degas it enough and bubbles kept bringing lees to the top of the carboy. I debased for an hour and everything settled down. However I just opened my first bottle after a month of sitting and noticed some bubbles when I pulled the cork. I used a drill mix-stir. From now on I think I'll degas over a few days and let everything bulk age for a month before bottling. Hope that helps.

Triplett, yeah I think I should have degassed a couple more times. I did it til the battery on my cordless drill died and then continued by hand, but the CO2 in this is stubborn I guess. The temp was up at 20°C so I'm not sure why it's stuck in there. I'm going to splash rack before bottling and see what comes out; if it's lots, I'll degas again.

I bottled my DB Tuesday and can already see a reason to start another six gallons...right after I get the Amarone going;)

Shepherd, try this test. Put some in your test tube, cover the top with your hand, give it a good shake, and then remove your hand. If you get more than a slight puff then you need to degas more.

So I racked again today to get the wine off the fine lees in the secondary, and found that in had no discernible CO2, either when splash racking for 30 seconds or in tasting. Phew!

However, I do notice a distinct sour yeasty flavour on the front of the palate. It mixes with the acid citrus of the lemon, but I can tell it's there. Will his go away with some aging? I also have to backsweeten some more to make it palatable to my wife.

Absolutely gorgeous colour!

I started my Dragons Blood yesterday. Pitched my yeast this afternoon. I just realized I only put in 40 oz of real lemon juice yesterday instead of the 48. Should I go ahead and add 8 more oz or just forget about it

Your choice, Tess. It will be good either way. This recipe is very versatile. Some folks don't add any lemon juice. I don't think the 8 oz will make much difference. If it doesn't bother you, just let it be.

It's going to be great! :b

Latest posts

Back