Star San

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should not rinse your sanitizer. Sanitizers are not designed to be rinsed. While your water may not have any bacteria in it, it is not a sanitizer. Never rinse your sanitizer.

That does not include Iodophor does it? I use Iodophor because kmeta effects my asthma. I have never tried StarSan.

Thoughts on Iodorphor?

I use both star san and saniclean. Saniclean is low foaming, takes a bit more per batch, and takes a couple minutes longer.

When I use star san, I let the bottles sit tidy on the counter after i've sanitized. Right before bottling I tip them over again and the bubbles have all popped and the rest of the star san drips out.

So Doug what does one use if they have asthma and it bothered by the kmeta? I have really bad asthma...
I do use campden tablets when racking and in primary but the powdered kmeta plays havoc with my ashma

Last edited:
I use StarSan a lot, but not for sanitizing my bottles. I recommend you switch to Kmeta. The very tiny bit of extra Kmeta you get that way can come in handy.

So Doug what does one use if they have asthma and it bothered by the kmeta? I have really bad asthma...
I do use campden tablets when racking and in primary but the powdered kmeta plays havoc with my ashma

Don't breath it :D

cut back on the amount of K meta in the solution to about half and let it have longer contact time.

Is it the fumes or the consumption of the K meta that bothers you?

The fumes. I let my bottles age a long time and then decant before I drink it.

Latest posts

Back