Stabilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FaultlessBark

Reaction score
I'm new to this and what i'm about to say may sound pretty dumb, but as far as stopping yeast from re-fermenting could I use more alcohol. say a shot of vodka, so as to raise the alcohol level and kill the yeast, therefore stopping it from possibly re-fermenting.
:gb

You would have to raise the alcohol level beyond the tolerance of the yeast, so more than a shot. I think this is a bad idea, because you would also end up with bad wine as a result.

How about some delightful kmeta?

As heather says, you must add a moderately large amount of alcohol. (This is called "fortifying" the wine.) This is how Port is made, for example. It is what you need to do if you wish to stop the fermentation early, leaving behind some of the sugar. Generally, people add enough brandy or other spirit to bring the ABV up to about 20%, where no yeasts can really operate. You can use a "Pearson Square" (which can be found by googling) to determine how much it would take, probably something like 1 part brandy to 3 parts wine.

If you just want to have a "normal" sweetened wine, you should let your wine go dry (i.e., completely fermented), then let it clear, then add potassium sorbate and k-meta, then sugar to desired sweetness.

Back