stabilizing and degassing ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okwine39

Reaction score
Quick question for you experts. My kit wine is ready to stabilize my question is two fold. Why do the directions with my kit say not to re-rack before stabilizing? It specifically says that the lees and sediment are to be stirred back up into the wine when stabilized. The second is if I am going to degass with a vacuum pump (thanks Wade) do I add the potassium meta and the potassium sorbate before or after degassing or does it matter?

different kits have different clearing agents. Follow the directions as that will work best.
I would degas after stabilizing and before clearing

I would do like Tom said and follow the kit instructions.

But I would also degas after stabilizing and before clearing.

Agree with previous posters. I'm guessing you have a Winexpert kit and these require the sediment to be kept in suspension - these kits use a one part clearing agent that combines with the sediment to drop out and clear the wine. Some other kits use a two part clearing agent that work with each other to clear the wine and don't require the sediment be kept.

I have degassed with vacuum about five times now at around 20 inches for about 5 minutes each time and I still get bubbles. Have i degassed sufficiently?

You will always get bubbles. Watch for the size of the bubbles though as thats the key. C02 in your wine is very small bubbles like in a Champagne while after that you are actually pulling small amounts of 02 through your wineand those are much bigger bubbles. If you were able to keep it at around 20" for any time at all then your wine is degassed as up until then it would just foam up like crazy and go right up your hoses in an instant!

Latest posts

Back