stabilizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevie55

Junior
Reaction score
What is in the stuff we call "stabilizer". I understand it is used when you want the wine to be sweeter after the final racking. You add sugar and the stabilizer. Some people are highly allergic to campden tablets. I am not but do get a headache from wines containing it.

You stabilize the wine to prevent re-fermentation with Potassium Sorbate. Sulfite's are added not as much to stabilize but to protect the wine from oxidation. Once the wine is stabilizedthe yeastwill not produce CO2 as they are now dormant which is heavier than O2 and provided an insulating blanket on the wine that shielded the O2.

Most are not truly allergic to the sulfite, they are highly sensitive. I, like you an sensitive as well. If I drink more than a couple glasses (one glass withmost redwines) I get a terrible headache and my nasal passages feel swollen. One of the reasons I prefer the kit and home made wines is the fact that our wines have considerably less sulfite's than a commercial winery wine. I can drink more and not suffer the side effect from sulfite sensitivity near as soon.

Thanks for the fast reply! Good info. If I want to avoid using potassium sorbate will fortifying the wine stop further fermentation?

bevie55 said:
Thanks for the fast reply! Good info. If I want to avoid using potassium sorbate will fortifying the wine stop further fermentation?

If you fortify above the capability of your yeast used, Yes.

Back