Stabilising

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumjump

Reaction score
I started an Island Mist on 12/12 with a beginning sg of 1.056. It kinda took off real quick and when I took a reading on 1/15 it was 1.024. But then I took another one the next night and it was already at .998. So I put the lid on and put an airlock on to finish. Tonight I took a reading and it is at .092. I'll take another one tomorrow. The directions say to stir the sediment back in and add the metabisuphitte and sorbat. Then add the F-pack. Now my question is should I leave it in the primary the way it is and add the ingredients or should I transfer to carboy and then add the ingredients. I'm just not sure if there is too much sediment.

You've got away from the directions a bit but what I would do is rack from your bucket to the carboy, carrying over a quite a bit of the sediment and add your stuff as required. Then carry on as per instructions. Don't worry too much about carrying over too much sediment - it won't be there long enough to cause any problems.

Thanks for the reply. I transferred to carboy. The sg is still the same. But the temp was a little low 68* so I'll warm it up some today and continue on with the next steps.

Latest posts

Back