specific gravity scale vs brix scale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niko13

Junior
Reaction score
what is the advantage of using the specific gravity scale over the brix scale on the hydrometer. It seems like the brix scale is so much easier to read. It appears that the majority of winemakers on this board like to use the SG scale.

what is the advantage of using the specific gravity scale over the brix scale on the hydrometer. It seems like the brix scale is so much easier to read. It appears that the majority of winemakers on this board like to use the SG scale.

First consider the advantages of the hydrometer vs the refractometer. Hydrometers require a larger sample of juice to test during the creation/testing of the must, and the juice needs to be free of pulp and particulates for the hydrometer to float and read accurately. The refractometer on the other hand, needs only a drop or two of juice to read, but doesn't provide accurate measurements once alcohol is present in the must. For these reasons, I like to use the refractometer before fermentation has started. Additionally, if you are checking the sugar content of fruit in the vineyard / orchard, it's simple to get a sample to test. My refractometer only gives readings in BRIX, therefore I use BRIX prior to fermentation. Once fermentation has started, I use the hydrometer, and mine gives readings in both BRIX and SG, and frankly, I use them interchangeably.

Personally, I don't think that there is a distinct advantage of either scale, and it's pretty easy to convert back and forth using a program like http://www.fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html . It seems that it's more what you are used to and makes you comfortable and confident in what you are doing.

I agree with John that it is more a matter of what you are used to than anything else. If everyone on this board always referred to Brix, so would I.

One thing I prefer about SG is that that is what the the hydrometer actually measures. It measures the density of the liquid, directly. It does NOT measure Brix, which is the amount of sugar dissolved, it only infers it; during fermentation, alcohol is present and changes the SG, so the inferred sugar percentage will be a bit off. (This has no practical significance, of course. My preference, which is very mild, is more ideological than practical.)

I believe a triple scale has a brix reading as well. Perhaps that is what they are referring to.

I believe that Paul acknowledges that there is a BRIX reading on the hydrometer, his point is that the hydrometer is actually measuring the specific gravity directly, and that the BRIX scale on the hydrometer is not a reading of actual sugar content, but instead just the conversion of SG to BRIX. A technical point, but technically correct.........

Back