Soak corks in k-meta, or put them in dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score

I am getting conflicting instructions from sources I have read.

I am getting conflicting instructions from sources I have read.

There are many questions about winemaking with multiple answers. This is one of them. Different methods work well for different people.

Personally I do not soak in K-meta, but I do rinse quickly in K-meta.

Steve

Either will work. However I prefer to spray them off with k meta and let them drip excess off while I get my corker and I will insert them in moist. I use the "nomacorc" for corks. They slide in easily. Let them stand upright a week then off to the wine shelves.

I use to rinse in K-Meta but put them in dry now. Got tired of cleaning rust out of corker

Yes a Corkador or something like that. Never boil your corks though.
Oh, BTW If you get a floor corker..."it dosen't matter"

I have rented a floor corker from the local HBS the last five times I have bottled. Don't know how I did without it. Funny I could have paid for one by now!!!:slp:slp

I have rented a floor corker from the local HBS the last five times I have bottled. Don't know how I did without it. Funny I could have paid for one by now!!!:slp:slp

Wow !
When I "tried" renting one it was only $5.00. Then again... That was a looong time ago.
When are you BUYING one then

I've been putting them in dry for a long time with no problems.

Before I start bottling I put the corks in a jar with a sulphite solution.

So basically I soak them while I am cleaning and sanitising the bottles.

The main reason why I do this is that I think it protects the corks (and so the wine) while they are handled by my hands and the corker.........

Luc

When i mix a batch for my spray bottle i would put it in a stainless bowl and then just dip them in and throw them in my drying rack so they could dip all the excess off. now i just use the floor corker and do them dry.

I soak my corks in a bucket with only about 1/2" of k-meta in it. But now I have a problem with my Italian corker. I know k-meta is very corrosive and now I have a rust problem under the sealed part of the corker. The flanges are starting to stick, the lever is harder to push down, and I'm even getting some rust residue on some of the cork tops. Can this corker be taken apart and cleaned? Afterwards, planning on using food-safe silicone for preventive maintenance.

I soak my corks in a bucket with only about 1/2" of k-meta in it. But now I have a problem with my Italian corker. I know k-meta is very corrosive and now I have a rust problem under the sealed part of the corker. The flanges are starting to stick, the lever is harder to push down, and I'm even getting some rust residue on some of the cork tops. Can this corker be taken apart and cleaned? Afterwards, planning on using food-safe silicone for preventive maintenance.

The way I see it, you either need to service the corker or purchase a new one. Try to service it first. You have nothing to loose.

I have had the same floor corker for about 20 years. I make sure to spray it down with a hose and dry it fully after each use. Still, I too get some corrosion.

I have broken down my corker twice (and will again this year). Since the brass is non corrosive (and the only part that comes in contact with the cork), I just give them a good scrubbing. All other parts get taken down to bear metal and painted with rustoleum. When re-assembled, I deliver some white lithium grease to the springs and "inner workings". Again, let me stress that the brass components do not get any paint or grease!

johnT.

Also,

I let the corker stand for about a month for the paint to cure/dry. I then run a number of corks through it (without a bottle) just to "break it in".

I never spray my corker with anything including water and k-meta. It stays dry at all times. The corks come out of the corkidore dry and go in the bottle that way. If I need to wipe the corker down I just use a paper towel. Over 2000 bottles and no problems so far.

Latest posts

Back