SO2 levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osborngj

Reaction score
So I've read the ph/SO2 power point a couple of times and just want to confirm what my targets should be.

The way I read it, it is a combination of ph level and SO2 reading. With my test kit I should be trying to get a reading between of 39 mg/L reading correct? My ph is around 3.5.

I added 3 campden tablets and I am currently reading 11 mg/L.

Is that the first SO2 addition to your Wine ?

There should be at least 39 ppm free SO2 in a Wine whose pH is 3.5 to protect it .

So , as you measured the free SO2 of your Wine ( 11 ppm ) , it means that you are under the desired amount .

Besides , 11 ppm SO2 after adding three Campden tablets sounds a little strange !

I mean , if you measured directly after adding the tablets .

What is the Volume of your Wine ?

Are you sure that the Campden tablets are dissolved properly ?

Hector

Last edited:
I took the measurement about 2 hours after adding the tablets.

I took boiling water in a bowl. Then added 3 campden tablets and put them in the water and used a fork to crush teh tablets the best I could.

My total fluid volume was about 3 gallons.

If I have to add more campden tablets will it kill the fermentation?
How long should I wait to add the yeast after adding the tablets?

Your BIG mistake was to dissolve Campden tablets in boiling Water .

SO2 is very volatile and you probably lost most of it by dissolving the tablets in hot Water .

11 ppm SO2 after just 2 Hours is very low .

I would say your Must is in danger of contamination !

I mean , you've given the Bacteria the opportunity to take the action .

If you haven't added the yeast yet , dissolve two Campden tablets in water at room Temperature and add it to the Must .

Then you should wait 10-12 Hours , so that SO2 would do its Job perfectly .

I would also reduce the pH to 3.4 .

Hector

Last edited:
What if I have added the yeast. It has officially started ferminting as of today. I added the yeast yesterday. I have more yeast so would it be alright to add the campden tablets and if fermentation stops just add more yeast tommorow?

If it's fermenting vigorously and it doesn't smell like rotten Egg or Nail polish remover , leave it on its own .

If this is the Strawberry Wine which you mentioned in another Thread , it will be O.K. , since you poured hot water on the fruit .

You'd better control the pH and fermenting Temperature everyday .

Hector

I added 2 dissolved campden tablets last night before reading this. Per the calculator to get the SO2 MG/L to the right level. Did I screw it up now?

Take it easy and don't sweat it. Sit back and see if the ferment takes off. If it doesn't take off in a couple of days, Make a new starter and pitch it in. you should be ok. I usually use a cup or so of warm not hot water. Put the yeast in with a little nutrient and some sugar. Let it sit til it gets going, put some of your must in. It should keep going good, after a couple of hours throw another cup or so of must in. Do this a couple of more times and pitch it into your must. Should take off like gang busters. Arne.

Thanks for all the advise. As a beginner there seems to be a lot of variables to take into account and not knowing the effects of making changes after the fact.

Thank you all for the help, I think I'm back to peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back