SO2 levels, dangerous to wait?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I've never used a measuring device for SO2, just used calculators to estimate amounts to add, and I've always added a tiny bit with every racking or with bottling.

I just pressed this morning 5 gallons of a red blend and 4.5 or pinot noir. I gave in and ordered the accuvin kit online. It won't be here for about a week or so. I have 20 ppm in the pinot and 30 ppm in the blend that was added before the yeast pitching using a calculator based on pH. Should I add a tiny bit to my carboys for the oxygen I introduced with pressing today or wait until I get my kit to see what the levels are now?
The reason I made pinot's lower was the recommendation in my book about pinots. Never done a pinot before so I'm trying to follow the book well.

I've never used a measuring device for SO2, just used calculators to estimate amounts to add, and I've always added a tiny bit with every racking or with bottling.

I just pressed this morning 5 gallons of a red blend and 4.5 or pinot noir. I gave in and ordered the accuvin kit online. It won't be here for about a week or so. I have 20 ppm in the pinot and 30 ppm in the blend that was added before the yeast pitching using a calculator based on pH. Should I add a tiny bit to my carboys for the oxygen I introduced with pressing today or wait until I get my kit to see what the levels are now?
The reason I made pinot's lower was the recommendation in my book about pinots. Never done a pinot before so I'm trying to follow the book well.

Since you just pressed, I'm assuming that fermentation is near its end, but still ongoing, so don't need to add any now, just make sure you are topped up properly and under airlock. Rack again off of the lees and sulfite after your SG has remained unchanged for a few days in a row.

If you intent to MLF your wines, you'll want to get that completed before dosing with sulfites.

It's been 2 weeks so it should be done fermenting. I plan to do MLF this weekend then when that's done, rack onto oak chips. So sulfite it when I do that racking?

Yes, sulfite after MLF. Make sure MLF is finished before racking and sulfiting.

Latest posts

Back