So we now have bottled wine..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooknhogz

Reaction score
So we now have bottled wine. Just a couple questions

Added K-Meta 1/4 tsp and Sorbate 2 1/2 tsp to a 5 gallon batch then back sweetened with simple syrup.
waited 2 weeks then bottled.
How long should you leave the bottles standing up, before lying on their sides? Used LD Carlson corks.

Can the wine be drank anytime after you bottle, or should you give it a little time to sit? Sounds like a stupid question but with the chemicals and syrup added didn't know if there was a wait period to consume.

We made a Merlot, Reisling, and a Isabella Blackberry 5 gallons each from Walkers Hot packs all started in October. Back sweetened the Reisling and Isabella Blackberry, and not sweetening the Merlot which is still in the carboy bulk aging.

I like to keep my bottles cork down for a bout a week or so before lying them on their side. As for drinking it, I personally wait a month before I try my first bottle.

I immediately put my bottles on their side and put away for storage. Never had an issue.

While you could drink immediately after bottling, for lots of reasons, you should give the wine time to develop in the bottle - three months, at minimum. Your first nemesis is bottle shock which takes several days to a couple of weeks to normalize.

I typically leave bottles standing for a couple of days before laying them down, to allow the pressure inside the bottle to equalize. Pressure is sometimes created inside the bottle (from pushing the cork into the bottle) and comes out through the cork, only air pushes through if it’s standing. If you lay them down immediately, as the pressure equalizes, it can push wine out through the cork in some cases.

In most cases, letting the wine settle down for a bit is a good idea, even with your quick drinkers. Most of my wines sit and age for many months / years before consumption.

Thanks for the quick responses. I haven’t any problem waiting 1-3 months at least to open the first bottle. I got 25 bottles out of 5 gallons and plan on saving at least 3-6 bottles for years to see how they turn out with aging

Leaving them upright for a couple of days is usually a good idea so that any pressure caused by pushing the cork in can easily equalize out. After that, it really doesn't matter. You can store them upright or on their side. It is all the same. So put them wherever and however is most convenient for storage. I have had wines upright in cases for several years without any problems. The idea that laying them on their side has any affect on how quickly a cork dries out is a myth.

You leave bottle standing for a day or two simply to allow the corks to expand from having been compressed by the Corker. Otherwise, there is a small risk of leakage.

This should be done with natural as well as man-made corks.

You then put the bottles on their side to allow the corks to remain wet.

Generally speaking, this is true with only natural material.

I would definitely hold off on drinking for at least a month or two.

Back