So... I opened my primary fermenter to rack and...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your SG is dropping, it's fermenting. Usually the top of a fermenting must is not clear and still, like in the picture.

Best I could do was wrap it in my wife's faux leather jacket which is lined.

Just wrapped it but overnight no activity in the airlock.

Thanks for the advice on overconcern re oxygen.

The temp of your must is fine you do not need to wrap it in your wife's coat. The yeast will work fine till the very low 60's. Have you stirred the must? You need to stir it vigorously at least one a day to get oxygen into the must, with no or low oxygen it will not ferment

The temp of your must is fine you do not need to wrap it in your wife's coat. The yeast will work fine till the very low 60's. Have you stirred the must? You need to stir it vigorously at least one a day to get oxygen into the must, with no or low oxygen it will not ferment

OK.... I hadn't stirred it all for a week, but last night took someone's advice here and stirred it. Will do so again today. Thanks for the tip.

Yes keep it stirred. Yeast are living organisms and need oxygen to survive my primary buckets at this stage is wrapped in a towel with a towel laying over the top with the lid laying loosely on it to keep in heat. The yeast you used will depend on the survival of low temps. You don't need to use your wife's good coat but plenty of buckets and carboys have been dressed in my sweatshirts! Lol and it's a Cabernet, high heat fermentation is good for this type if it were a white wine I would recommend the low temps you have now.

So now would be the time to go scouting for a "brew belt" or some other type of heat for the primary. At 70F fermenting a big red like Cab will slow way down. Will not lead to any ruination but will delay the end result. 74-78F will get things moving along nicely. And yes a couple of stirs (not vigorously) daily to keep the must in suspension helps as well. Of course, the current state of your process is helping you learn a little about that "patience" ingredient. Good luck :ft

Specific gravity just below 1.00, temperature 71 degs F.

I do believe I am ready to rack! Woo hoo! :h:ib

Thanks for all the advice, folks.

Racking 1-23-16 2.jpg

Racking 1-23-16 3.jpg

Last edited:
So, how does it taste?? It will change quite a bit as time goes on. Yeast taste should go away, co2 should go away, and the flavors will change as they age. Arne.

So, how does it taste??

Actually not bad. I was really thinking it would taste sharp or harsh or fizzy or something being this early in the process.

Tasted about like a Cab does to me. Couldn't detect much of an alcohol taste either. But if I did the ABV calc correctly, it's about 13%.

LOL, you want to be a little careful with that stuff. When you don't taste the alcohol it can really sneak up on you. Glad it tastes good. Arne.

When the SG reading remains the same for @3 days, THEN it is ready to rack!! LOL

Latest posts

Back