Small area for planting. Some tips please!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulFox78

Junior
Reaction score
My wife and I have decided to quit with the vegetable garden and plant some Chardonnay in North East New Jersey. I only have a small plot, 12' x 6'. We hope to make wine out of these eventually, a small amount of wine we realize, but primarily the plan is to learn here and eventually expand once we know what we are doing. Having read spacing should be 7-10 feet apart, this would put me at about 4 plants about at the corners of the area. I plan a square trellis around the entire perimeter of the area. My question is, what is the drawback of planting closer? Will this starve the vines of nutrients due to competition or is it more based on allowing the vines room to grow? Lastly, the trellis as the perimeter, any drawbacks to this that you can see? Lack of air circulation, etc.? I figured the perimeter idea was a good way to maximize the area we have. The other option is 3 rows of 2 plants with 3' between rows...

Thanks for your input!
Paul

My advice would be to plant two rows of Frontenac Blanc instead. Northeast vine supply has them and they are going to produce a very good wine without the difficulties of Chardonnay. Just step each row in a foot from the edge, giving 4 feet between the rows. That should give you 6 vines and a good plot. Stepping them in from the edge will allow you to fence and net them, which will be necessary. Just my 2 cents. Since Frontenac Blanc is vigorous you can go with tighter spacing.

Latest posts

Back