WineXpert Slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
smiley25.gif
I decided to be daring and spike my Green Apple Reisling kit with 10 cups of sugar dissolved in 10 cups of water. I started it 3/13 with a beginning SG of 1.084. After 4 days it was 1.040 and after 7 days 1.030. How long is it OK to let the must sit in the primary fermenter? At what point is the wine fermentation considered "stuck"? It is in a room at about 70 degrees and still smells like it is fermenting and is bubbling. Just wanting some advice, do I wait to rack or do I rack it before it hits 1.010?

Thanks,
Lenore

It sounds like you have a slow fermentation going on. You should be okay in the primary as long as it is producing enough CO2 to keep a protective blanket over the wine. And you're only on day 7 - be patient! Keep in mind that the instructions were written with the transfer being in 5 - 7 days because you were supposed to start out with an SG around 1.050.

Your wine isn't stuck unless your SG isn't dropping at all, and the wine is showing sign of clearing.

So my advice would be to relax and wait until 1.010 - 1.020 before racking.

Well I took your advice and it dropped in the next couple of days and I racked it and it is bubbling away. Thanks for reminding me to have patience (not my strong suit!!)

Lenore
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back