Slooow Ferment.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddphilip

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. I picked up a 6 gallon pail of Thompson seedless grape juice from the supermarket and, after waiting 18 hours and following a very basic pail fermentation recipe, I tossed in two packets of yeast (forget which - don't be mad - maybe cote d'blancs or champagne) and I put it in my closet (roughly 75degreesF tightly covered at first, then I realized that was a mistake and I loosened it up).

It seems to be fermenting so slowly. The first two days there were no signs of bubbling, the third day seemed kind of bubbly, but only with a slight drop in specific gravity - about 1.100 starting and 1.090 by day three.

If it weren't for the fact that I fermented a few fruit wines earlier in the year that fermented very fast and very crazy, I wouldn't be too worried, but I didn't see any active fermentation in this juice.

Did I screw up somehow? I didn't use yeast nutrient because the recipe didn't call for it, but I can. Could I just toss some in without re-pitching yeast? Should I even re-pitch yeast?

Ayudame!

I'm new to wine making and am experiencing the same with two batches. One is made with seedless grapes from the grocery store that was for making jam but we didn't get to it in time so I decided to make wine before they went bad. The second is an apple wine that might be a total experimental loss. Wasn't fermenting so reyeasted, it started spilling over out of the cheese cloth and I transferred it to a primary fermentation bucket and now the airlock I placed on it isn't doing anything...yet.

How do you know how fast it's supposed to ferment and how active should the airlock be?

I know I should test with the hydrometer and an acid test. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll have the time but still I'm curious how the guys did it back in the day before using yeast, hydrometers, acid testing equipment, nutrient, k-meta and all that mess. I'm looking to do it old school...successfully and then with all the chemicals etc.

I'm new to wine making and am experiencing the same with two batches. One is made with seedless grapes from the grocery store that was for making jam but we didn't get to it in time so I decided to make wine before they went bad. The second is an apple wine that might be a total experimental loss. Wasn't fermenting so reyeasted, it started spilling over out of the cheese cloth and I transferred it to a primary fermentation bucket and now the airlock I placed on it isn't doing anything...yet.

How do you know how fast it's supposed to ferment and how active should the airlock be?

I know I should test with the hydrometer and an acid test. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll have the time but still I'm curious how the guys did it back in the day before using yeast, hydrometers, acid testing equipment, nutrient, k-meta and all that mess. I'm looking to do it old school...successfully and then with all the chemicals etc.

I can tell you that you should not airlock until primary fermentation is done and you've advanced to secondary. Your apple that you re-yeasted is probably fine, it just blew the seal. It will probably eventually be great. Don't know why they started off so slowly.

Edit: maybe I misunderstood. Cheesecloth and airlock?

Last edited:
There's some debate on whether to start with open or sealed fermentation, but I believe allowing air into the wine during primary is beneficial. The way I do it is to open primary and stir about twice a day. But, I use an airlock.

Sometimes yeast needs nutrients or a boost to get going. It's too early to tell and I wouldn't do anything different now. However, look into helping the yeast if activity gets stuck.

Tony P.

I swirl the bucket a couple of times daily to keep things active. I can't see thru the bucket n it's driving me crazy.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"White" table grapes
Table grapes are grapes intended for consumption while they are fresh, as opposed to grapes grown for wine production, juice production, or for drying into raisins.
Table varieties usually have lower sugar content than wine grapes and are more flavorful when eaten. Their flavors, however, do not survive fermentation(rotting) and their low sugar content means that any wine produced from them is weak, bland-tasting and easy to deteriorate. Depending on the market for wine and table grapes, low quality wine may contain some grapes that could also be sold as table grapes, particularly Thompson Seedless. Other grapes sold as table grapes are Flame, Sultana, Muscat, Almeria and Concord grape.

This may be why it is difficult to get your fermentation on track.

Latest posts

Back