Skeeter stuck at 1.062 for 4 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
I started the skeeter 5 days ago, at 1.070, it was slowly bubbling, then got down to 1.062, where it has been for the last 4 days. Temp is 71deg

I've been whipping in O2 several times.

And I added about 3/4 gallon of yeast starter 36 hours ago, and some more nutrient and energizer.

Why isn't this thing taking off? Should I dump it?

Do you knwo what yeast was used? You could sprinkle a packet of EC-1118 or Primier Cuvee on top.

Still nothing....

I just added a heat belt though, it was at 72deg before putting the belt on (which just came today).

Should be fermenting (airlock bubbling) vigorously. I think additional heat (brew belt) will help. Is the fermenter sitting on a cold surface like a concrete floor? If the heat doesn't help try re-inoculating w/EC-1118.

Fred

Should be fermenting (airlock bubbling) vigorously. I think additional heat (brew belt) will help. Is the fermenter sitting on a cold surface like a concrete floor? If the heat doesn't help try re-inoculating w/EC-1118.

Fred

There are no bubbles what so ever.

Its on a wood floor, and the basement below it is heated.

There are no bubbles what so ever.

Its on a wood floor, and the basement below it is heated.
Abe,
Re-inoculate with EC-1118, but this time hydrate the yeast with Go-Ferm if available to you. Also, you may want to add a small amount of wine to the yeast to form a slurry. Once the slurry is going well, add it to the wine.

Fred

Abe,
Re-inoculate with EC-1118, but this time hydrate the yeast with Go-Ferm if available to you. Also, you may want to add a small amount of wine to the yeast to form a slurry. Once the slurry is going well, add it to the wine.

Fred

Tried that a few days ago, still nothing.

I started the skeeter 5 days ago, at 1.070, it was slowly bubbling, then got down to 1.062, where it has been for the last 4 days. Temp is 71deg

I've been whipping in O2 several times.

And I added about 3/4 gallon of yeast starter 36 hours ago, and some more nutrient and energizer.

Why isn't this thing taking off? Should I dump it?

Abe did you follow the recipe of Lons or did you change it up any?

Looks like the heat belt's working (knock on wood).

I'm at 77deg and getting some bubble again, nothing major, but hopefully it will pick up.

82 deg, still have small bubbles.

SG is down 3 thousandths to 1.059 (although the temperature change may be most of the reason for that).

I unplugged the heater to get it below 80, and whisked in 2 minutes of 02

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back