Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortissimo Arrived

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My very first higher end kit arrived today and I’m thinking of starting it on Sunday. None of my Reds so far have come out very dry or bold and I’m hoping this kit will come closer to that profile. I’m planing on following the instructions closely to start, probably adding some Hungarian Oak during bulk and a little tannin at about a year. Haven’t checked the yeast yet to see what's included.

I’ve seen this kit mentioned favorably here a few times but hoping for any thoughts or suggestions to get the most out of it. I'm also curious how it ends up comparing to the Cabernet or Pinot I started in October with a lug of grapes and fresh juice. Costs are about the same but a lot less grapes in the kit.

Starting a new batch is always exciting!

Mike

Mike I think you have a good plan. Try to bulk age it six to nine months then hold it in bottle nine to twelve months or more. Its great at two years. Good luck.

Just a quick update only Rosso fortissimo that I started early July of 2014. This is my third or fourth RF. I have followed the same routine on all of them. I have always added some untoasted American oak dust in primary and also have always added Hungarian cubes in secondary and French stave or spiral aging. It is now in a mostly neutral 6 gallon Hungarian barrel for 3 months. As with the previous RFs it is quite tart and just slightly thin at this point. As in the past I will add 3 or 4 ounces of glycerin and 2 or 3 ounces of simple syrup prior to bottling. In my opinion this kid peaks at about 18 months in bottle and holds there for another 18 months. Mine never lasts longer than that.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony, appreciate the advice and guess at 3 or 4 batches this must come out pretty good for you. I do have a question about the supplied oak. Mine came with 3 packs. One was powder and the other two were what I hope were the "shavings" listed in instructions. I put all three in the primary. I have no other other oak supplied. I'll add my own cubes in secondary, sound about right? I also substituted the yeast with RC212 added some nutrients and plan on adding a bit more at day 3 or 4.
Mike

Thanks Tony, appreciate the advice and guess at 3 or 4 batches this must come out pretty good for you. I do have a question about the supplied oak. Mine came with 3 packs. One was powder and the other two were what I hope were the "shavings" listed in instructions. I put all three in the primary. I have no other other oak supplied. I'll add my own cubes in secondary, sound about right? I also substituted the yeast with RC212 added some nutrients and plan on adding a bit more at day 3 or 4.
Mike

Yep sounds good. I almost always use whatever oak comes in a kit in order to make sure I get the flavor that was planned for the kit. I add my own oak on top of the provided. I like oak and this kit can handle a nice amount so I add more during aging.

Latest posts

Back