Should We Be Worried About Cicadas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinividivici

Reaction score
I'm located in the Eastern half of the country, ergo billions of Cicadas are going to be appearing and eating their way through vegetation soon.

Does anyone know if they like/prefer grape vines over tree leaves? I thought I read that they erupt from the ground underneath the tree they were conceived on. And then they go back in that tree to start the cycle over. True?

Any suggestion for a spray on the vine leaves to keep them off or kill them?

Fortunately, my vines are in the open, with trees and forests hundreds of feet away. I'm hoping the bugs stay there!

They don't eat or bite. They will mate, lay their eggs in the small end branches of trees, make a hell of a lot of noise, and die. The bitten tree branches usually die, fall off, and put the eggs on the ground where the new bugs live underground for 17 years, then do it all again.

They don't eat or bite. They will mate, lay their eggs in the small end branches of trees, make a hell of a lot of noise, and die. The bitten tree branches usually die, fall off, and put the eggs on the ground where the new bugs live underground for 17 years, then do it all again.

Thanks Ohiyo. Reassuring, except maybe for my young apple trees!

I did some checking on them and this site was very interesting, kid-friendly too! http://tinyurl.com/dxbatq6

Cheers,
Bob

Latest posts

Back