Sherry Flor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenbean

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to use Sherry Flor yeast? If you have what should I expect from the fermentation.

Chris

Flor Sherry is a strain of yeast isolated because of it's ability to tolerate high alcohol content in wine. It is traditionally used in sherry making, a high alcohol oxidised wine. I think you can feed it slowly to about 19% if that's what you want. Wyeast's Eau de Vie culture in a foil slappack is what I used to use for a port-like finished product. It will tolerate 21% abv.

What was the question?

smiley25.gif

If I remember right when I was reading on making sherry that it has some kind of bloom floating on top. I was was wondering how this happens. All of the sites and books I have found on sherry are real sketchy on the true how to process and the others make it sound so hard no one in their right ming would try at home. Luckily I'm not in my right mind.
smiley4.gif
If you have any info on making a sherry style wine it would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I think I remember what you are referring to, but I can't remember what makes the 'bloom', surely not the yeast. Maybe it has something to do with the oxidation, which is very slow. I do know that making sherry is a never ending process because they always mix some of the ready to bottle aged stuff with a new batch. I also believe it is barrel fermented. I shall google.

smiley25.gif

Back