SG can't be right! right?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
So I am working with 100lbs of merlot grapes grown in N GA. After crush I measured the SG at 1.080. I pitched my yeast on Monday evening,
the 12th. On Wednesday I decided I wanted to up the alcohol level just a bit so I did the math and came up with about 2 lbs of sugar to add to the must to get the wine closer to 1.090 and about 12%. I am assuming there is still some sugar in some grapes as this is my first attempt at actual grapes and I stomped these grapes with my feet, not all the berries are popped. I added the sugar yesterday the 16th, did not measure the SG when I did it. Today I measured the SG and it is below 1.000.

Surely that can't be right? I shook the sample up to try and gas out the CO2 thinking maybe it was effecting the reading but I could not get the reading to change any meaningful amount.

Anyone have any thoughts on what is going on? Could I really add 2lbs of sugar and have it gone in 24hrs?

Thanks for whatever insight you can offer. paulc

Did you TOTALLY dissolve the sugar before adding?

Last edited:
SG Question

PaulC,

Two pounds of sugar added to 100 poundsof grapes? That seems to be a very small amount. Did you check the SG on Wednesday when you added the sugar. Pre addition and post levels would be good to know. Did you disolve the sugar before adding it?

At this point, you should be having to deal with regular punch downs and pump over the cap.

I don't have much experience with this, but have tried to read up to get ready for my own wine making from grapes in a week or two. I'd suggest sitting tight and continue to punch down and pump over.

Again, 2 lbs of sugar in 100 lbs is not enough to make much difference.

I look forward to hearing other comments and following your progress.

Paul

Last edited:
sugar was dissolved in just enough water to get it fluid, then allowed to cool. I used the formula from Sheridan Warwicks book The Way to Make Wine. (brix wanted-starting brix) x 0.125 x gal of juice or finished wine= pounds of sugar. I only needed to move the brix from about 18 to closer to 20. So if you work the formula that comes out to 2lbs of sugar, assuming 8gal of wine which is probably too high but these were large berries.

How many others have added sugar after ferment had started and were able to measure a rise in SG?

thanks, paulc

I gotta agree 2 pounds in 100 pounds of must isn't a really big addition and if you have really active yeast going it wouldn't take long just for that amount like Tom asked though and is probably main question was did you dissolve the sugar before adding? Also adding that small amount in 100 pounds isn't change a lot if you stirred it in really good

you normally won't see a big jump unless your adding a lot of sugar, you know like 5 pounds for 5 gallon then you would notice a bit of a jump

Latest posts

Back