Sg 1.120

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samh200

Reaction score
Im doing a 1 gallon blackberry jam wine I followed a recipe i found online but my SG is at 1.120 can I farment this?...If not what else can I do besides dump it? :slp

Heres recipe...

3-lbs or 6 cups Jelly or Jam any flavor
1-lb or 2-cups Sugar
6-7 Pints or 12-14 cups of water
2-tsp Acid Blend
1/8-tsp Tannin
1-tsp Nutrient
1-tsp Pectic Enzyme
1- Premier Cuvee, or K1V-1116 Wine Yeast

No reason to dump it.

Add some apple juice - it has more body than water & you wont taste it in the end - to thin it out. Apple juice does have some sugar in it, but its much lower than your SG now & will lend to your finished product. You could also add some white grape juice instead of apple juice, if that sounds better.

No reason to dump it.

Add some apple juice - it has more body than water & you wont taste it in the end - to thin it out. Apple juice does have some sugar in it, but its much lower than your SG now & will lend to your finished product. You could also add some white grape juice instead of apple juice, if that sounds better.

this wont delute from the blackberry?

+1 Deezil and never blindly add the sugar, always check your gravity first before adding any sugar. Fruits should have an sg of 1.080 - 1.090

+1 Deezil and never blindly add the sugar, always check your gravity first before adding any sugar. Fruits should have an sg of 1.080 - 1.090

LOL!!! BOY!!! im learning!!!! 1 screw up at a time:):)

Sometimes its the best way to learn, because it sticks :)

I would do a un-concentrated white grape juice if you could. You wont taste it in the end cause you dont really need too much - just enough to drop your SG to around 1.085-1.090, and considering its only 1 gallon you're only looking at a couple glasses at most. Make sure you measure while you do it, and stir good before pulling a sample.

Blackberry is a rather bold flavor, generally. Its the light whites that you gotta be really careful about over-dilluting.

LOL, I did the same thing when I first made a blackberry wine from jam. Another thing you can do is add some oak to it, that helps in toning down the alcohol taste. Actually, that is the only way I will do a blackberry, that is with oak added.

Julie, do you have a recipe for the blueberry jam wine? Is it
a sweet wine?

Julie, do you have a recipe for the blueberry jam wine? Is it
a sweet wine?

This is the recipe I went by... But dont add any suger until you know your SG...:slp

Jam or Jelly Wine (Strawberry, Peach, Blackberry, Plum, Raspberry)
Makes one gallon.

3-lbs or 6 cups Jelly or Jam any flavor
1-lb or 2-cups Sugar
6-7 Pints or 12-14 cups of water
2-tsp Acid Blend
1/8-tsp Tannin
1-tsp Nutrient
1-tsp Pectic Enzyme
1- Premier Cuvee, or K1V-1116 Wine Yeast

Scoop Jelly or Jam into your primary fermentor, use a fine straining bag if it has seeds.
Disolve sugar in 2 pints of boiling water, remove from heat and add 3 pints of cool water to sugar water to cool, then add to primary. (Do not pour the boiling water directly into the jam, be sure to mix with cool water first)
Stir in enough Cool Water to make one US Gallon in primary - make sure all lumps are disolved.
Stir in Acid Blend, Tannin, Nutrient and Pectic Enzyme.
Check that the temperature is near 70 degrees, if not allow to cool.
Test to confirm Starting SG of 1.080 - 1.090 Adjust if necessary.
Let sit overnight for the Pectic Enzyme to work.
Add yeast.
Ferment for 3-5 days. When SG reaches 1.010 transfer/syphon into glass carboy (secondary), attach bung and airlock. Leave for approx. 3 weeks, SG should be at or below 1.000, transfer again.
Leave for approx. 2 months, transfer again this time adding 1 campden tablet. Transfer again in 2 months and again in 2 months if necessary.
Bottle when clear.

Can be sweetened to taste at bottling by adding 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate stabilizer and about 1/4 lb dissolved Sugar per gallon. I like this wine sweetened back up to about 1.010, but either leave dry or sweeten to your personal taste.

I like the idea of adding apple juice it goes very well with blackberry. I talked about this wine on my blog back in September. The recipe I used is below. Like Julie I like oaking anything with blackberry, I used American light toast chips for 21 days on this one. It will take some aging to get real good.

One Gallon Batch
1 96 oz bottles of Great Value 100% Apple Juice
2 12 oz jars Seedless Blackberry Preserves (Giant Brand)
5 12 oz jars of water
12 ozs Sugar to S.G. 1.085
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 ½ tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
½ tsp yeast energizer
¼ tsp Tannin
1 Campden Tablet
1 pack Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast (DAY 2)

I like the idea of adding apple juice it goes very well with blackberry. I talked about this wine on my blog back in September. The recipe I used is below. Like Julie I like oaking anything with blackberry, I used American light toast chips for 21 days on this one. It will take some aging to get real good.

One Gallon Batch
1 96 oz bottles of Great Value 100% Apple Juice
2 12 oz jars Seedless Blackberry Preserves (Giant Brand)
5 12 oz jars of water
12 ozs Sugar to S.G. 1.085
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 ½ tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
½ tsp yeast energizer
¼ tsp Tannin
1 Campden Tablet
1 pack Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast (DAY 2)

when do you add the oak and how much?

I make 5 gallon and buy oak cubes, the package is for a 5 gallon batch. I use hungarian oak.

I age my wine in 90 day cycles, so I add it 21 days before the end of the first cycle. When I get the taste I want I rack leaving the oak behind. I use 20 to 25 good size chips per gallon, I don't like a strong oak, if you do you may want to add more or leave in longer. It's all about taste.

Julie, thanks for the info, I'm going to go to cubes as that is all my LHBS carries, I'll tuck that bit of information away in the back of my brain.

Last edited:
SBW,

The hungarian has a real nice vanilla flavor that is not overpowering but distinctive.

Started the blackberry jam wine will apple juice! Will add yeast tomorrow. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!
Christy

Latest posts

Back