Severe schedule changes... bottle early or age late?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
There is the strong possibility that my job is going to put me on the road for about 6 months in September. During that time, I will NOT be returning home. I'll know for sure next week about the job requirements. I have someone that can keep a close eye on the airlocks, but to expect them to rerack wine is asking too much.

All my wines are in various secondaries, most less than two months old. Today, I re-racked my pear to get it off the gross lees.

I'm considering racking the wine into fresh carboys about every four weeks until I have to depart. Then, either bottle early or just leave it in the carboys until I return.

If I leave it in the carboys, I can f-pac and backsweeten when I return, I guess.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

There are others who will chime in with far more experience than I. However if this were me I would:

Up the sulfite level

Add a fining agent so as to get out as much of the lees as you can so your last rack will leave it fairly clear

Keep asking this question on this website

Never bottle early as you will be sorry later with sediment in the bottle. Most of us bulk age our wines for a year or more even on kits that say they can be bottled after 2-3 months or less. Even months after they say it ca be bottled there will be fine sediment falling out and if in the bottkle guess where it stays! Always prolong your bottling and never rush it in.

AGE the wine. It will make a difference in the long run.
What do you have?

The wines should be fine if fermentation is over and they are properly treated. Be sure to rack them off the lees/sediment the best that you can. The age will probably do them good.

Ken, once your wine is off the gross lees , the remaining sediment won't hurt your wine. Allow it to bulk age and ask your baby sitter to watch the wine doesn't swell into the airlock and that it doesn't dry out.

Put all of them in a dark cool area and relax. Do your business and feel confident you may bottle later.

I typically bottle whites and fruits after 6 months of bulk aging and reds at least 10 months bulk aging. There is a huge difference when you bulk age. Don't up your k-meta too much.

Gentlemen,

thanks for the suggestions. I've been reading that flavor develops and matures over time. As I plan to f-pak a couple of the wines, would it be wise to do add the f-pak before I bulk age so this additional flavor helps the wine mature?

best to everyone!

You want to do the f-pac before aging. One reason you will need time to clear. another is it gives mor time for thr flavor to "mingle"

Latest posts

Back