Settling Guava

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordini

Reaction score
I have a considerable amount of Guava wine that is not clearing.
We received the Guava frozen. We defrosted the guava, blended it with an equal amount of apple juice, added sugar to 18 brix added nutrient and enzyme and fermented with a neutral yeast. Ferment has stopped. I have racked it and added 1.2g/litre bentonite. pH is around 3.5
No movement. I have trialled 4 other types of finings, no result.
There is a high degree of solids and after a week, the settling has only been 10%.
I would be grateful for any advice

Last edited:
My guava wines have not cleared on their own after 5-6 months, but they did clear with bentonite. One of my best wines, and sadly I'm down to just 3 bottles. :(

How old is this wine? Is it completely degassed? Gassy wine is hard to clear.

Also, maybe try some pectic. Guava is a little different in that many of the guava wine recipes you see online (including one of Keller's) call for boiling the fruit.

Yes. Next time we do it, I'll certainly heat it. Wont boil it however because that could drive off too much of the aromatics. I'll heat the juice to 40 deg C and then add the pectinase. I have a work around at the moment, but I am not getting the recovery volume I would like.
Thanks

I have tried:
gelatine and silica
bentonite
blend of bentonite, pvpp and isinglass
tannin added to a gelatine and silica solution.

None achieved better than just settling.

you should try super-kleer......and do not mix by directions;
out of 15 times of usage, this works better for me:
add the small package and gently stir, immediately add the large package and gently stir..
should be clear in 24 hours.
i have used on blackberry.strawberry,pineapple,and others and it worked.
if super =kleer does not work, then go to one egg white gently stirred with 1/2 cup water, with a pinch of salt..
add to wine all at once.

Back