Septic Tank Problem ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2020steve

Reaction score
I use K-meta for sanitizing and dump two gallons down the drain a least two times a week. Will this amount kill off all the bacteria in my septic tank?
I have heard of an additive you flush down the line and it creates more bacteria should this be added and how often?
Steve

It seems logical, I wouldn't know for sure. If you are using the K-Meta/Citric solution, you should be able to reuse it until that "volatile" smell is gone. Seems like you're wasting a lot of sanitizer.

I do know we give my hubby's beer trub to my mom and dad or brother and sister so they can flush it down into their septic. I've heard it is better than Rid-X.

Last edited:
I have thought the same thing - If I remember I will walk out to the driveway and discard it, otherwise it goes down the drain - I do add citric acid to keep the overall meta down to a minimum.

It can not be any worse than adding bleach to your laundry !

I can't imagine going through that much Meta. Why are you dumping it? I keep the extra in any empty carboys with solid stoppers so I can 'recycle' it. A gallon will last me a long time.

There are a number of septic system additives that should/could be used monthly that boosts the bacteria and aids in paper digestion. Anything that might harm the septic ought to be put into the grey water system. I reused my potassium metabisulfite until the smell goes away or 6 mos have elapsed.

Wow, I re-use k-meta like crazy. I maybe go through 3 gallons/yr, I make about 150 gallons of wine in the same time frame. If the vapor singes my nose hairs, I use it. Using the "wafting technique" from high school chemistry, I make every effort to make sure the vapors don't get past the tip of my nose.

Share and Learn

Thanks All,
This forum is a wealth of info and I should have used the search feature first there are posts going back years.
I never knew you could keep using Potassium Metabisulfite solution over and over. From now on I am going to store it in a carboy or covered bucket instead of mixing in the sink and dumping after use.
Steve

FYI: I use Sodium Metabisulfite for sanitizing carboys, tools, etc. It is 1/4 the cost of Potassium Metabisulfite.

Store it in an air tight container.

Use Potassium not a Sodium Metabosulfite. Mix up a batch in a spray bottle. Spray everything off prior to using. I rinse after spraying and have had absolutely no problems.

Wash with very warm water with a drop of liquid detergent to remove any stuck on sediment. Rinse thoroughly. Allow to dry.

Bottle or carboy brush clean. You don't need a lot of K-Meta (pot. meta). One small container lady's me a year and do a lot of wine.

K Meta stuns yeast doesn't kill bacteria. Best to avoid dumping into a septic system but it won't devastate it in proper doses.

Dumping your yeast and sediment may help the tank. I dump most into the garden, oak chips as well.

Extreme caution needs to be used with k meta.

Dumping your yeast and sediment may help the tank. I dump most into the garden, oak chips as well.

We dump our wine sediment into my parent's garden area, I figure most, if not all yeast has probably died off, so not much help to the septic. BTW, we've had some AMAZING results on the harvest this year, and it's my first year dumping sediment... coincidence... maybe.

The beer trub has plenty of live yeast in it still, that's why it's flushed into the septic.

It's organic and is helpful.

Best thing for a slow septic is a fresh deceased road kill. Old farm tip.

^ sunflower seeds seem to work the best. Make sure you have some sort of wood run up to the top of the bucket as well.

^ sunflower seeds seem to work the best. Make sure you have some sort of wood run up to the top of the bucket as well.

You are soo right !!

I tried this last year and within 3 days - we had alot of chipmunks !!
Not one knows how to swim - strange isn't it ??

There should be no smell from the toilet from the septic tank. ,- there is a water trap to prevent that
Open the back tank of the toilet and see if you don't have some sort of bacteria grossing there

If so add some bleach And use a long handle brush

Back