WineXpert Sediment in bottom of bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderEh

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently I noticed a lot of sediment in the bottom of my bottles as I noticed some corks leaking and was recorking/moving bottles around (switching to synthetic now due to the leaks). I always follow the instructions, but prolong all but the first step. Typically I bottle after 90 days. Anyways, the wine also is clear in the carboy and we are careful never to rack any sediment off. We've really only noticed the sediment as we were checking the corks with a flashlight. They very from a small 1/4" line on the bottom of the bottle to 1.5" in some Amarone we found.

Any idea why this is occurring? Is this just due to aging? I assume it is ok to drink, but maybe we should just decant the wine prior to drinking?

90 days is the bare minimum, sediment can fall out for much longer than that. I try to wait 6 to 9 months to bottle, some wait years.

Is this fine sediment, or does it look like crystals? Some wines will drop sediment for many months. Some will just form Tartaric crystals while aging - you'll even get this on commercial wines.

Either way, no issue with drinking. You can pour through a screen filter prior to drinking.

I'll have to open a bottle to see what it is, but with the one bad Amarone they would fall apart in large chunks as the bottle moved around. A Vinturi with filter screen should get rid of it I hope, or decanting. It does not appear to be crystals.

Back