SECOND WINE FROM BLACKBERRY PULP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
I had a person suggest making a second run or wine with the pulp from the blackberry pulp in the straining bag. Have any of you ever tried this???? My fruit pulp in the straining bag is obliterated, its mush! I crushed all of my berries before starting and putting them into the straining bag and there just is not alot left in the bag. Equivalent to 4-5lbs of fruit pulp.

His Idea was to use Grape juice Welche's or other and then add the chemicals and sugar, along with the fruit in the straining bag. He also suggested adding 4 pounds of fresh berries. How does this sound?? Any help is appreciated

I would say, technically, it is all possible. I don't know how much he strains/drains his pulp-straining bag, but if he doesn't sqeeze the begeesus out of it, he's probably okay.

The wine will probably turn out quite a bit thinner, but since he's adding more berries, it would sound okay. Check the acid, as blackberries and concord (or niagara?) are high-acid fruits.

If he's going to add the 4 #s anyway, he might want to just consider making a straight concord/niagara, and blend the two. It's easier and you can control the taste easier. But if he's after a challenge.....................
smiley2.gif

Martina, I was going to try it. But, like you mentioned I have squeezed the dickens out of the pulp there is not much left at all. That was why I asked. I figured it was awaste of time. Thanks for the input.

I tried it witrh a Muscadine batch TN and it m,ade a pretty thin bodied wine

With the black/rasp berry type of fruit watch out for a "seedy" taste if you do a second batch on the pomace. Most of the juice and solids will be lost to the first batch leaving a high concentration of seeds. Edited by: Curt

TN,

Just racked my 6 gallon batch of Red Raspberry to glass, and like you stated, there wasn't much to speak of in the bag that I could see going into another batch.

I have been known to toss another scoop of coffee over used grounds to makeanother 1/2 pot and I guess the principle is the same here. I wouldopt for fresh fruit with a new batch myself. I have heard of folks taking the used pulp and making a jelly or jam, but I haven't tried this either.

Back