Second tracking too soon?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pinot grigio kit in the works and, because the wine was already so clear (1/2" sediment on bottom) I did my second racking. Was this too soon? It still has a minute amount of effervescence (not visible, just barely felt on the tongue, so it isn't 100% complete with secondary fermentation. Just worried it needed to sit on the lees for more time. Thoughts?

A little hard to answer your question, because we have no way of knowing how long it has been between rackings.

Having said that, I do not see any problems. Pinot Grigio is generally vinted in a crisp, lean style, and hence is not generally aged sur lie. (Pinot Gris often is, as it is generally done in a "fatter" style.)

Also, a little effervescence (dissolved CO2) does not mean that it is still fermenting. It takes a long time to get the gas out of a batch naturally. So I think you are all good!

I normally rack at fermentation complete, three days later of off gross less, three weeks later of off fine lees and at three month intervals thereafter dependent on aging protocol. add k-meta at three day racking. this is assuming sg=1.00 or less to confirm fermentation is complete.

@Northwoods Wine - question: Was it really 1/2" of sediment or presenting that much sediment on the sides? If the former, I'm with @sour_grapes and getting it off the lees is/was the immediate next step. Do you have an SG reading? I suspect it's done fermenting and is just releasing resident CO2.

Perhaps wait a few months and rack again? I don't see this timeline having an adverse effect. +1 on @salcoco

@Northwoods Wine - question: Was it really 1/2" of sediment or presenting that much sediment on the sides? If the former, I'm with @sour_grapes and getting it off the lees is/was the immediate next step. Do you have an SG reading? I suspect it's done fermenting and is just releasing resident CO2.

Perhaps wait a few months and rack again? I don't see this timeline having an adverse effect. +1 on @salcoco

Yes

It was a half inch, and in the 4 days since I've racked there is almost no sediment at all. The wine is extremely clear. I think you may be right, that it's just residual CO2. SG was .0995

It was a half inch, and in the 4 days since I've racked there is almost no sediment at all. The wine is extremely clear. I think you may be right, that it's just residual CO2. SG was .0995

Just a note for the future, your sg isn't 0.0995, your hydrometer can't read that low. It is 0.995. It matters when it comes time to calculate abv.

Back