Second batch has finished fermenting!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsmith

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I have checked my red wine for the third time in a week and it reads 1.008 as my FG. I started at 1.120 and if my calculator is correct i am at 14% alcohol(red star premier classique yeast). I want to back sweeten it. I am curious, at this point should I use K-sorbate and sulfite before sweetening? Or have the yeast petered out to the point It may not be needed. I am going to age one bottle without sweetening. Any thoughts
Thanks,

Are you sure it is finished fermenting? With a SG that high, I would want to wait a lot more than a week to be sure.
Are you sure you want to sweeten it more? 1.008 sounds sweet to me...

It's not sweet enough for my wife's liking, especially with the higher alcohol content.
It's been fermenting for 3 weeks now. I racked from the primary into a carboy at day 5. The sg then was 1.034. A week or so later it is at 1.008 and clearing with light surface activity. 3 readings later still 1.008 and 2 weeks after first racking. Good amount of sediment in the bottom, zero surface activity and racked again, 4 days ago. Its opaque but not cloudy.

Attachments

• 20200623_173949.jpg
    20200623_173949.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
After looking into it your yeast was formerly called Montrachet. The current version say alcohol up to 15% while the Montrachet says it was 13% so you could have reached your threshold. I have to say though racking to a carboy at 1.034 is a bit early. To answer your question I would say yes to K-sorbate and K-meta.

Thanks Mainshipfred!
I'm still learning and its trial by fire for now, much appreciated.
What SG would you have racked?
The recipe instructions said at 1.040 or so...?

Well some good news.
It read 1.008 for a 4th time and I racked and de-gassed it. I was going to sweeten it so I put in the campden and k sorbate. After de-gassing for what seemed like forever we tasted it. The wife loved it, no more sugar needed.It had such a more even flavor than before. Its bottled and aging now. It was crystal clear after 3 weeks?

Back