Seals & Shrink Wraps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Are shrink wraps or sealing wax something I have to use on each bottle? Is there a purpose to those other than to make the bottle look nice?

Thanks!:hug

They are really just for looks. If you're not making labels on your bottles then I would not bother. On the other hand if you are making nice labels for your bottles they really dress it up. Another thing about using different colors for each wine is they help you keep track of what you have when they are in the rack laying on their sides. At a glance you can tell by the colors what you have of each one.

Okay, thanks! I have a few bottles that I'm not making fancy labels for. I might get around to adding shrink wrap to the tops, but not right now.

I read a article that said the purpose of shrink wraps (other than looks) is to prevent things like spider mites from using the top of your bottle to lay eggs etc.

I knew there was a reason I liked to use them!!!
Bug20Crawling.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

The reason they used foil caps ..

They originally dipped the neck of a bottle (quickly) in tin. This metal seal prevented rats from chewing on the corks of bottles while they aged in the cellar.

They then realized that this was great in hiding the level of wine in a filled bottle. In the case of champagne, this was incredibly useful since the disgorging process left rather low fill levels in the bottle (this was before the dosage process). In fact, have you ever noticed how much more of a bottle of champagne is covered in foil as opposed to a wine bottle? This is the reason.

Guys,

The reason they used foil caps ..

They originally dipped the neck of a bottle (quickly) in tin. This metal seal prevented rats from chewing on the corks of bottles while they aged in the cellar.

I have heard of the angels' share, just never the rats' share. :dg

When I first started making wine, I bought foils and wax. I have never gotten around to using either.

Latest posts

Back