Screw cap bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry, are you guys talking about the bottles that have a cork and screw cap or just screw cap? my family got a case of welch's sparkling grape juice with screw on caps. i rinse them in hot water and use. my first in these bottles was not done, so i would release the gas every so often. every day or so. we know that releasing carbonation can build quit a bit of pressure. but i've heard of wine bottles exploding. so i guess carbonation isn't as powerful. and with a cork, the cork may blow out. besides, i hate corks.

sorry, are you guys talking about the bottles that have a cork and screw cap or just screw cap? my family got a case of welch's sparkling grape juice with screw on caps. i rinse them in hot water and use. my first in these bottles was not done, so i would release the gas every so often. every day or so. we know that releasing carbonation can build quit a bit of pressure. but i've heard of wine bottles exploding. so i guess carbonation isn't as powerful. and with a cork, the cork may blow out. besides, i hate corks.

You Hate Corks???? What did they ever do to you :)

We were talking about using corks on bottles that were designed for a screw cap. Since you are only using a screw cap, I would think that your situation does not apply.

(did he say Welches?) :)

You should look into getting a stopper with a fermentation trap. This would allow the gas to escape without having to constantly release the gas. These are very inexpensive (under $5).

yes, corks are a pain when you do not have a cork screw. yes welch's bottles. the are green with almost full length wrappers. the gentlemen here abouts merely crush their grapes and leave them to the open air. some may cover with cheese cloth. are screw caps an acceptable way of sealing wine in it's bottle?

Why would you only re-use the screw cap bottles one time?

Semper Fi

Because they won't keep on resealing well after that. Now there are many types of screw caps. Are we talking the metallic kind that have a perforation that breaks when you unscrew? If so, the cap is not meant to reseal really. The plastic/sealer in the top won't compress well when used several times. The kind of screw caps and bottles we have for home use are made to reseal. The caps have a thick polyester (?) top and will seal over and over. I have not had an issue with that kind ever. I can hear the hiss every time I open them and am positive they will seal. Now those metal topped ones, I don't re-use. We only re-use the corked bottles.

Back