Scratching my Bottom

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishonline

Reaction score
The primary fermenting bucket I use for red wines has some scratches on the bottom, probably from using the drill mounted stirrer. No matter how much I scrub I still always have some darker staining from the red wine left in those scratches. Is this a cause for concern? Am I risking bacterial contamination on future batches?

If I were you I'd consider getting a new primary fermenter at some point. Yes, you can certainly sanitize and proper sanitizing will generally kill most microbes. However, we clean before we sanitize because the sanitizer works best without dirt for the microbes to hide in. Those scratches you see are places for microbes to hide, waiting for their next meal.

Tony is absolutely right and I also have a bunch like that. I still use them for fermentations though but, after seeing this was reson enough for me not to use Better Bottles for long term aging. Right or wrong, this is just my personal opinion.

I do not think that this is a matter of grave concern. As long as you sanatize and clean, a little red staining is not really much of a risk.

I love the title of this thread and under "equipment and sanitizing" I was expecting something else lol

Don't use it for a bed pan or a diaper pail in the off season.

Great thread! My fermenter is scratched as well but I got it that way and it has never been a problem. I just make sure to clean and sanitize before each use.

Latest posts

Back