WineXpert Sauvignon Blanc kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAASTINKIE

Reaction score
6 gal Sauvignon Blanc Bolero (Spagnols) California style 23lt anseptic kit, I was wondering today, after day 45 the instuctions say bottle, from what I have learned here I get the impression I will have a better wine in the long run if I keep it in the glass carboy for many months, am I correct?

No, not necessarily. In any case, do not bottle before the wine is clear, but the wine will not age better in the carboy than in bottles. Scratch wines are left in carboys longer only to be sure the wine is stable and finished precipitating before bottling. Sometimes it is left in the carboy because of time restrictions. If you leave it in the carboy up to a year before bottling, add an additional one-quater tsp. K-Meta. or one campden tablet per gallon and keep topped up well. Don't forget to check on the airlock once a week, or use the new waterless ones George has for sell.

Also know that you are not bulk aging until the wine is clear, stable, and otherwise ready to bottle, except you leave it in bulk.

smiley14.gif

I stablized and fined my kit today, it was interesting because the directions said to rack first, where as the island mist kits said not to, the bentonite was added today for this kit on the island mist the bentonite was added at the beginning as a first step in the primary. I had to top off with about 1qt and a half of distilled water, that's all I had to use. I tried to post the picture here but no tree with arrow here. Pictures are at AAASTINKIE.

In the past, some older kits instructed that Bentonite be added later. The newer kits say do so first hand, using warm water..etc. then the juice, etc.

Apparently the study from what I have gathered keeps the Bentonite suspended working longer opposed to settling later on a "one-shot" application.

The best bet would be to follow the directions (I should read them as well) cuz they have spent much time and testing for a change like that to be recognized as a better procedure. (My 2 cents anyway!)

Make sure you stir the betonite very well -- no clumps. I read somewhere that if you put it in the blender with warm water and mix it that way works very well.

CW loves the blender and I agree. Lots of stirring, stirring, stirring. (The trouble is really when you stir, everything is gray and you kinda "hope and guess" that you got it all. Really good point Martina!
smiley36.gif

picked up 3 cases of clear bottles today at the brew shop for my white
wine (the name of this thread) got some clear shrink caps too, didn't
know they had them, now I need some finevinewines corks to make it look
good!

I got in late on this thread, but my 2 cents worth.

1. I have not started carrying the waterless airlocks. I did not have any room, but I re-organized the store this week and now I have a little more space.

2. Kit instructions change from time to time. Always read the instructions that come with your kit, always!!!!!

3. I just got 10,000 of my corks in, so order away.

4. I like Med's idea of the donation. You can get a really nice tax deduction without the hassle of a yard sale. (BTW, in my other life, I am a CPA).

Cool I do believeI have enough for now but the next time I order Ill want some I think they would look good more along the line's with something home made.

All I wanna see is a--hole and elbows with a little dust cloud over your head.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
ROTFLMAO

Lets get to it scrub them bottles and scrub em good!!!!!
smiley7.gif

Dose this help any?
smiley36.gif

Back