Satsuma Wit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Gonna make this with fresh satsumas straight off the tree and into the brew pot. Its a windy, cool day so I am going to boil inside and conserve the heat indoors.

Warming up the 5 gallons of water to steep the grains

1/4# aromatic malt
1/4# munich malt
1/4# Vienna Malt
1/4# Torrified wheat

Future additions are
1# DME Muntons Extra Light
6# Malt Extract (Wheat)
1 oz Pearle hops (60 min)

1/4 oz coriander seeds crushed (last 15 minutes)

7 whole fresh picked satsumas halved and squeezed with rind into the boil

Will cool down the wort rapidly with ice bombs (2 one liter containers filled, frozen, sanitized) and pitch yeast Forbidden Fruit slap pack Wyeast Labs #3463

Sounds like fun - playing with fire in the wind! I would not try it today, we've had tropical storms produce less wind then we are getting right now. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be windy and then the next 2 days are going to be breezy. I'm tempted to call and ask whats the difference. Instead I'll just sit here and listen to my sons try and figure out the lights on the tree, I could sell tickets. On second thought perhaps what you are doing is safer.
VC

Ha..... Safer.... Ya crack me up....
smiley36.gif

I'm going to do a stove top boil with two burners (showing off) Once I get the water to a boil, I'll shut off the second burner and center the pot. Its huge on my little stove top. But I'll be heating up the house as well.....

Cause I'm sure it is safer! The older son (who has no clue) is trying hard not to take direction from the younger son (who actually knows what he is doing). And to make it more interesting the dog who usually runs and hides has decided to help.
Hubby tried using the 2 burner idea once, but could never get the water to the right temps, this may be a good time to mention I don't think he gave it enough time. Now he checks the weather before he decides to brew.
VC

You would of probably got better flavor extraction of the Satsuma by zesting the rinds and adding that as opposed to the juice. I dunno what the acidity of that juice will do to the end beer as well as the bitterness from the pith. Guess we are gonna know though.
smiley2.gif

smurfe said:
You would of probably got better flavor extraction of the Satsuma by zesting the rinds and adding that as opposed to the juice. I dunno what the acidity of that juice will do to the end beer as well as the bitterness from the pith. Guess we are gonna know though.
smiley2.gif

Smurfe,

I was folowing Aaron's advice. I do plan to strain it into the fermenter trying to catch all the pulp. Aaron also suggested juicing a few more satsumas and then boiling it down. Not sure if I want to do that though. I will let you know how the end product comes out.......

Just added the coriander seeds for the last 15 minutes.

I was not able to get it to a rolling boil with just one burner, nor was I able to sustain it with just one. My stove is a Maytag not a viking..... Arrgh...... But it kept a boil rolling with both so I am good to go
smiley4.gif

rollinggggg rollingggg, rollinggg
Keep them burners glowin
Gotta keep this brew a boilinggg
Wheres Rawhideeeeeeeee

Yee Haw.......... Little Doggie

Sipping on an Irish Stout that I made a month ago and its darn tasty. Its aged about 20 days or so..... Been chilling in the kegerator and was tapped into service today....

Latest posts

Back