Sanitizing Inquiry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer

Reaction score
I'm a Newbie to winemaking and just finished adding the final ingredients to the carboy for the 2 week wait before I check clarity and (hopefully) proceed to bottling. This is my first attempt at winemaking and I have read and practiced all procedures exactly asoutilne in the tutorial and kit instructions. I've also read a lot of the post and replies on this forum and learned much.

I'm not exactly certain though, on one small detail during the sanitizing process. And maybe I've missed it in my prior readsfor one reason or the other so I'll ask Ya'llfor help:

After cleaning and sanitizing, should the K-Meta be rinsed off of theequipment and toolsBEFORE usingthem to perform their chores? Also, after sanitizing the primary and carboy should they be rinsed to remove the K-Meta before ingredients are introduced. And,after cleaning and sanitizing the bottles, do I need to rinse-out the K-Meta as well?

Finally -- Howfar in advance of bottling should the bottles be sanitized(i.e., how longwill they remain fit for bottling AFTER sanitizing)?

Thankingallin advance for any answers to my inquiry.

No doubt you will ge differing opions regarding this subject storm but I personally do not rinseafter sanitizing and have never had a problem. As for your question concerning bottling, i'm not sure I have the correct answer but myself, I always try to sanitize just prior to bottling. I will let the bottles then drain while I rack my wine to the bottling bucket. Again, I do not rinse my bottles either. Hope this helped and did not confuse you further.

As Waldo said there is no need to rinse any of your equipment or bottles after sanitizing with K-meta solution.

I routinely leave my bottles overnight after sanitizing before filling and never had an issue. I use a bottle tree so the bottles are upside down and nothing can get into them besides air.

I have gone a week before filling but wouldn't advise that and would suggest filling them ASAP after sanitizing.

Waldo and masta:

Thank you for the quick reply to my inquiry. You have answered my question and I intend to use your advise.

Stormbringer,

Waldo and Masta are good teachers! I have nothing else to offer but a welcome. Glad to see you here and good luck with your batch
smiley9.gif

PC

Latest posts

Back