SANITISING

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
Quick question before I bottle.
I will be bottling some Island Mist here shortly and I wanted to find an answer to a sanitising question.
I have both the ONE STEP cleaner and just bought some Potas. Meta bisulfate( K- Meta?) should I clean my equipment and bottles with the one step and then the k-meta right before, or just use the k-meta as long as I now own some.
Last time I filled 4 bottles at a time and let sit, and then with a funnel, transferred to another 4 and so on untilI had a batch ready to rack intoSo....given the choice, should I just use the K-metafor every thing?

What I do is make a 1 gal batch of the one step cleaner, then I fill the bottles about 1/3 of the way, stick my thumb on the top and shake it up real good to get the cleaner everywhere. Then I dump the cleaner back into the bucket and go onto the sanitizing step.

For this step I highly highly recommend 2 pieces of equipment:
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4810- Bottle tree. This is the compact one and it hold 45 bottles, don't worry about it being compact as I can fit 45 champagne bottles on this without it being to sung, 45 regular wine bottles is fine.

And this: http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4818- Bottle Vinator

What you do is put your sanitizing solution in the Vinator, then you push your bottles down onto the nipple of it. When you do that the sanitizing solution is sprayed everywhere in the bottle and gets it ready to be filled. Then you just put the bottle on the bottle tree. When you clean and sanitize all your bottles its very easy to move the tree with all your bottles right over to your filling station.

Oh, yea, I forgot to ask: The directions on the k-meta package says: 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons to kill widld yeast and 2 oz. to 1 gallon of water for sanitizing. ----What does 2 oz. translate to when using measuring scoops? ( teasoons and tablespoons)

1/4 tsp is for adding to wine to prevent oxidation, that is not the
formula for making a sanitizing solution. You want 3 tbls per gallon
for sanitizing which is equivalent of 2 oz. Yes you want to clean the
bottles inside and out then sanitize and drip dry before bottling and I
recommend getting the better bottle tree along with vinator as the
economy tree doesnt let the vinator sit on top like the better tree
does. The Vinator is designed to attach onto the top of the tree so you
can stand up and push the bottles down on the vinator with out bending
over.

moz-screenshot-3.jpg
moz-screenshot-4.jpg

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">4812 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Ctree_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Bottle Drainer Tree - Holds 45 bottles
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$25.99</td></tr></t>
</table>

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">4818 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cvinator2_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Bottle Rinser Vinator
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$17.99</td></tr></t>
</table>

Thanks! I do have the 45 bottle tree but not the Vinator so maybe I'll look into that next.

Trust me, its a life saver and helps you save money by just using a little batch of sanitizer and keeping the rest of your gallon solution in your sealed gallon container for next time. I recommend it highly!

I just use the smaller one because I keep the Vinator in the sink as I tend to make messes when I do that :).

As for sanitizing solution, if you have that little bottle:

6012A_LG.JPG

This bottle is 2oz, so just pour the whole thing into 1 gallon of water.

Scuba

Latest posts

Back