RJ Spagnols Sangria with Seville Orange

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I use my Vinebrite, I just lay two yardsticks across the top of the bucket and set the filter on top of those & let it do its thing. Never thought about cutting a larger hole in the lid like that.

We are down to just two bottles of sangria left from our first batch... we've been rationing it like crazy! I'm racking over another batch today, so in two weeks we should be good to go again... at least for a (very) short while!

That's also a good idea Jodisplace. How long did you wait before starting to drink your Sangria?

Well, Moose, I'd have to say we waited approximately two... maybe three... ummm... minutes.
smiley3.gif
(So much for preaching patience & bottle shock theory! lol!) The initial taste-test when we were bottling was so good that we pretty much started from there and haven't stopped. I honestly can't say that it's gotten any better in the month or two since we bottled it... it's just always been amazing. I'm really, really hoping that my second batch turns out as well because I've had some problems with some of my others... I'm looking too forward to this one to have anything happen to it!

Okay jodisplace, where exactly is jodisplace? These mist kits are pretty much foolproof an seem to always come as mirror image of any 1 of them so your destined to have another awesome batch! Please take a minute to edit your profile and tell s where you reside. we love to know who is living right next door so that we can exchange a few bottles of wine or just shoot the breeze in person. I have exchanged a few bottles in person and that is just like the best feeling meeting someone in person and sharing our passion.

Edited by: wade

Well, Wade, sadly enough, I really have ruined this batch of sangria.
smiley19.gif
I had to leave the house in the middle of my racking process and came home tired and just wanting to get it over with so I could get ready for bed. Got the degassing finished and opened a bottle of black cherry pinot to top off the carboy (as I did with my last batch), topped off the carboy with about 1/4 of the black cherry bottle... and as I was walking away holding the partial bottle of black cherry, I decided to take a swig. To my horror, I caught a faint aroma of vinegar. Sooooo.... looks like I'll have a nice big batch of sangria vinegar just a brewin' away here. I need to go cry into my beer...
smiley19.gif

A faint aroma of vinegar may just be the batch of wine dissipating its acetic acid. Every batch of wine has minuscule amounts of vinegar in it and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. Some wineries actually try to get their wine to produce more vinegar for a specific flavor profile. Have you tasted this batch of sangria since?

No, I just added the vinegar-ey black cherry to the carboy of sangria about an hour or so ago. I had read many times on here about how even a miniscule amount of vinegar-related bacteria will turn a whole batch to vinegar, so I figured I was just basically screwed. The bottle of questionable black cherry was probably bottled anywhere from 8 months to a year ago, and I hadn't had this problem with any other bottles from that batch so I'm not sure what happened.

Warmer temps during fermentation do produce more acetic acid and when you smell it its usually just a gas leaving your carboy or bottle. As long as you practice good sanitation then you are most likely in god shape although sh!t does happen but its pretty rare. Thanks for updating your area so that know when you post a question we have an idea of what the temps are like and what might be happening in your area,

Thanks Wade... I appreciate the help! I'll keep my fingers crossed that I just had a little excess acetic acid in that particular bottle and that the sangria will be okay. We'll just be devastated if that whole batch comes out bad because it's been pure hell for us to ration out what was left of the last batch. I even had someone offer to buy my last4 bottles for $15 a bottle and I said "No way!!"... we would miss it too much. How sad is that? lol!
I guess I had never thought about putting my location on my profile... I just joined in haste and didn't tweak my info after that. Sure wish I lived somewhere cooler where temps would be more easily controlled for storage, that's for sure!

Its either very cold at times or very hot at times here so kind of in the same boat. Summer gets very hot here and in the winter i have to use a brew belt which is an electric heating belt that you wrap around your carboy or primary bucket. My wine cellar stays pretty good temp wise most of the time but during the summer gets to humid which makes me have to run a dehumidifier which in turn heats up my wine cellar. Thats life right!

Latest posts

Back